Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our note in
Marine Mammal Science:

Sprogis, K.R., Raudino, H.C., Hocking, D., and Bejder, L. (2017). Complex prey
handling of octopus by bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus). Marine Mammal
Science, doi: 10.1111/mms.12405.

Link to paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12405/full

Blog: http://mucru.org/complex-prey-handling-of-octopus-by-bottlenose-dolphins/

In summary: Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins were observed handling octopus on
45 occasions in southwest Australia from 2007 to 2013. We suggest that dolphins
shake octopus onto the water’s surface and toss octopus several meters into the
air multiple times to i) remove the octopus head/mantle, ii) tenderise and
ensure the arms are inactive and iii) break the octopus into smaller pieces for
easier consumption. We documented that octopus handling i) was a seasonal
occurrence, peaking during winter/spring in water temperatures ~18°C, ii)
occurred in relatively turbid (~3m) and shallow (~9m) waters, iii) occurred
primarily over benthic habitat consisting of sand, algae/sand and mud/silt, iv)
occurred in group sizes of ~10 dolphins, v) was most prevalent among adult
females and, vi) was conducted by dolphins that showed a close association with
other dolphins handling octopus.

If you cannot download the publication, please email me to request it.

Kind regards,

Kate Sprogis PhD

Cetacean Research Unit | School of Veterinary and Life Sciences,
Murdoch University, 90 South St, Murdoch WA 6150, Australia
k.spro...@murdoch.edu.au<mailto:k.spro...@murdoch.edu.au> | MUCRU Kate
Sprogis<http://mucru.org/group-members/kate-sprogis> | Kate Sprogis
Photography<https://katesprogisphotography.wordpress.com/>
[cid:4F9D4BFF-E7CE-4E16-AA79-DDCD1ECEEE0C]