Dear MARMAM colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the following paper has been published online:

Arso Civil, Mònica, Barbara Cheney, Nicola J. Quick, Paul M. Thompson, and
Philip S. Hammond (2017) A new approach to estimate fecundity rate from
inter-birth intervals. Ecosphere 8(4):e01796. 10.1002/ecs2.1796

Abstract:
Accurate estimates of fecundity rate are key to population assessments and
effectively direct conservation efforts. We present a new approach to estimate
fecundity rate based on the probability of a female giving birth, conditional
on a previous birth t years ago, from which an expected inter-birth interval
(IBI) can be estimated. We use generalized linear mixed-effects models to
account for individual and temporal variability and apply the approach to
individual reproductive histories of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)
from the east coast of Scotland. We estimate a fecundity rate of 0.222 (95% CI
= 0.218–0.253) and an expected IBI of 4.49 yr (95% CI = 3.94–4.93 yr). We use
simulated data samples to show that the approach produces estimates with a
minimum bias of <3%. Simulations are also used to investigate the effect of the
most common data-driven biases in the estimates of birth intervals and
fecundity rate; we recommend longitudinal studies of at least 10 yr and capture
probabilities of at least 0.3 when using this methodology. The approach may be
modified to incorporate other parameters of interest and should be applicable to
any population with comprehensive data on birth intervals.

A PDF copy of the work can be downloaded from:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecs2.1796/full

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any question regarding our work.

Best Regards,
Monica Arso

Dr Monica Arso
Research Fellow