Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the following
article in Marine Ecology Progress Series:

Williamson LD, Brookes KL, Scott BE, Graham IM, Thompson PM (2017) Diurnal
variation in harbour porpoise detection—potential implications for management.
Mar Ecol Prog Ser 570:223-232. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12118

ABSTRACT: Robust information on animal distributions and foraging behaviour is
required to target management and conservation measures for protected species
and populations. Visual survey data are commonly used to model these
distributions. However, because visual data can only be collected in daylight,
modelled distributions and consequent management actions may fail to identify
or protect important nocturnal habitats. We explored this issue using data from
the Moray Firth, Scotland, where visual survey data have previously been used
to characterise habitat use and distribution patterns of harbour porpoises
Phocoena phocoena. Marine predators such as harbour porpoises have a widespread
distribution, are highly mobile and are known to exhibit behavioural variation
in relation to diel cycles. Here, we used long-term passive acoustic data which
revealed habitat-specific differences in diel patterns of detection. Harbour
porpoises were detected consistently during night and day in sandy areas, with
peaks in detection around sunrise and sunset, and at night in muddy areas.
Detections also varied with depth, with the greatest proportion of daytime
detections recorded in shallower sandy areas, and the most nighttime detections
recorded in deeper muddy areas. The proportion of detections with foraging
buzzes increased slightly during the night and in muddy habitats. These
findings suggest that the importance of muddy habitats could be underestimated
when using visual survey data alone. This highlights the value of using a
combination of visual and acoustic methods both to characterise species
distribution and to support efforts to develop appropriate spatio-temporal
management of key habitats.

The publication is open access and available at:
http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v570/p223-232/

Best wishes,
Laura

Laura D. Williamson
MASTS PhD student
Room 418, Zoology Building
School of Biological Sciences
University of Aberdeen
Tillydrone Avenue
Aberdeen
AB24 2TZ

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir.
SC013683.