Dear MARMAM,

Myself and coauthors are are pleased to announce the following publication in
Journal of Heredity that investigates genetic kinship in stranded Gray’s beaked
whales:

Selina Patel, Kirsten F. Thompson, Anna W. Santure, Rochelle Constantine, Craig
D. Millar; Genetic Kinship Analyses Reveal That Gray’s Beaked Whales Strand in
Unrelated Groups. J Hered 2017 esx021. doi: 10.1093/jhered/esx021

*Abstract*

Some marine mammals are so rarely seen that their life history and social
structure remain a mystery. Around New Zealand, Gray’s beaked whales
(Mesoplodon grayi) are almost never seen alive, yet they are a commonly
stranded species. Gray’s are unique among the beaked whales in that they
frequently strand in groups, providing an opportunity to investigate their
social organization. We examined group composition and genetic kinship in 113
Gray’s beaked whales with samples collected over a 20-year period. Fifty-six
individuals stranded in 19 groups (2 or more individuals), and 57 whales
stranded individually. Mitochondrial control region haplotypes and
microsatellite genotypes (16 loci) were obtained for 103 whales. We estimated
pairwise relatedness between all pairs of individuals and average relatedness
within, and between, groups. We identified 6 mother–calf pairs and 2
half-siblings, including 2 whales in different strandings 17 years and 1500 km
apart. Surprisingly, none of the adults stranding together were related
suggesting that groups are not formed through the retention of kin. These data
suggest that both sexes may disperse from their mothers, and groups consisting
of unrelated subadults are common. We also found no instances of paternity
within the groups. Our results provide the first insights into dispersal,
social organization, and the mating system in this rarely sighted species. Why
whales strand is still unknown but, in Gray’s beaked whales, the dead can tell
us much about the living.

The full text can be accessed through: https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esx021
<https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esx021>

More details or pdf requests please feel free to contact me on
kffthomp...@gmail.com <mailto:kffthomp...@gmail.com>

Kind regards,

Kirsten Thompson & Coauthors

Kirsten Thompson
Molecular Ecology and Evolution Group
Biosciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences
University of Exeter, UK
email: k.f.thomp...@exeter.ac.uk

Skype: kirsten.thompson1
tel: +44 (0)7841 695569