Dear MARMAM readers,

My co-authors and I would like to announce our recent publication in Frontiers
in Marine Science:

Chabanne, D.B.H., Finn, H. and Bejder, L. (2017). Identifying the Relevant
Local Population for Environmental Impact Assessments of Mobile Marine Fauna.
Frontiers in Marine Science, 4: 148. DOI:
10.3389/fmars.2017.00148<http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmars.2017.00148/full>

ABSTRACT

Environmental impact assessments must be addressed at a scale that reflects the
biological organization for the species affected. It can be challenging to
identify the relevant local wildlife population for impact assessment for those
species that are continuously distributed and highly mobile. Here, we document
the existence of local communities of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins
(Tursiops aduncus) inhabiting coastal and estuarine waters of Perth, Western
Australia, where major coastal developments have been undertaken or are
proposed (Figure 1). Using sighting histories from a 4-year
photo-identification study, we investigated fine-scale, social community
structure of dolphins based on measures of social affinity, and network
(Half-Weight Index-HWI, preferred dyadic association tests, and Lagged
Association Rates-LAR), home ranges, residency patterns (Lagged Identification
Rates-LIR), and genetic relatedness. Analyses revealed four socially and
spatially distinct, mixed-sex communities. The four communities (Figures 2 and
3) had distinctive social patterns varying in strength, site fidelity, and
residency patterns. Overlap in home ranges and relatedness explained little to
none of the association patterns between individuals, suggesting complex local
social structures. The study demonstrated that environmental impact assessments
for mobile, continuously distributed species must evaluate impacts in light of
local population structure, especially where proposed developments may affect
core habitats of resident communities or sub-populations. Here, the risk of
local extinction is particularly significant for an estuarine community because
of its small size, limited connectivity with adjacent communities, and use of
areas subject to intensive human use. In the absence of information about
fine-scale population structure, impact assessments may fail to consider the
appropriate biological context.

You can access the article at: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2017.00148

If you cannot download the publication, you can request a pdf by emailing to:
d.chaba...@murdoch.edu.au

Delphine

Delphine Chabanne
Ph.D. candidate
Murdoch University Cetacean Research Unit
School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Murdoch University, Western Australia
Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia

http://mucru.org/group-members/delphine-chabanne/