Dear MARMAM subscribers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce a new publication on the
neuropeptide hormone oxytocin and its effects on pro-social behaviours in grey
seals:

Robinson, K.J., Twiss, S.D., Hazon, N., Moss, S. & Pomeroy, P.P. (2017).

Positive social behaviours are induced  and retained after oxytocin
manipulations mimicking endogenous  concentrations in a wild mammal

Proceedings of the Royal Society B, DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2017.0554

Abstract:

The neuropeptide hormone oxytocin modulates numerous social and parental
behaviours across a wide range of species, including humans. We conducted
manipulation experiments on wild grey seals (Halichoerus grypus) to determine
whether oxytocin increases proximity-seeking behaviour, which has previously
been correlated with endogenous oxytocin concentrations in wild seal
populations. Pairs of seals that had never met previously were given
intravenous injections of 0.41 µg kg−1 oxytocin or saline and were observed for
1 h post-manipulation. The dose was designed to mimic endogenous oxytocin
concentrations during the observation period, and is one of the lowest doses
used to manipulate behaviour to date. Seals given oxytocin spent significantly
more time in close proximity to each other, confirming that oxytocin causes
conspecifics to seek others out and remain close to one another. Aggressive and
investigative behaviours also significantly fell after oxytocin manipulations.
Despite using a minimal oxytocin dose, pro-social behavioural changes
unexpectedly persisted for 2 days despite rapid dose clearance from circulation
post-injection. This study verifies that oxytocin promotes individuals staying
together, demonstrating how the hormone can form positive feedback loops of
oxytocin release following conspecific stimuli, increased motivation to remain
in close proximity and additional oxytocin release from stimuli received while
in close proximity.

The article can be found at:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/284/1855/20170554<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0144577>

The article is open access; so anyone who is interested in the manuscript
should be able to download a pdf of it. However if you have any problems
getting a copy please email
kj...@st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:kj...@st-andrews.ac.uk>.

Kind regards,

Kelly Robinson

Dr Kelly Robinson

Research Fellow

Sea Mammal Research Unit

Scottish Oceans Institute

University of St Andrews

KY16 8LB

Tel: +44(0)1334 462635

Twitter: @KJRScience

Lab Twitter: @_SMRU_

For more information about my research please visit:
https://kellyrobinsonscience.wordpress.com/