Hello Marmam,

NOAA Fisheries is soliciting comment on our 2016 Technical Guidance for
Assessing the Effects of Anthropogenic Sound on Marine Mammal Hearing
<http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/guidelines.htm> (NOAA Technical
Memorandum NMFS-OPR-55) during a 45-day public comment period, which opens
May 31, 2017, to assist the Secretary of Commerce in his review of this
document under section 10 of the Presidential Executive Order (EO) 13795,
Implementing an America-First Offshore Energy Strategy
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/05/03/2017-09087/implementing-an-america-first-offshore-energy-strategy>
.

The Guidance is a technical document that compiles, interprets, and
synthesizes scientific literature, to produce updated acoustic thresholds
for assessing the effects of underwater sound on marine mammal hearing. It
is intended for use by NOAA Fisheries’ managers and other relevant user
groups/stakeholders, when seeking to determine whether and how their
activities are expected to result in hearing impacts to marine mammals via
acoustic exposure. The Technical Guidance does not represent the entirety
of NOAA Fisheries’ comprehensive effects analysis but rather serves as one
tool to help evaluate a proposed action.

The Technical Guidance previously underwent three independent peer reviews,
including a follow-up to one of the peer reviews, prior to its
dissemination by NOAA Fisheries in 2016. Details of each peer review are
included within the Technical Guidance (Appendix C), and specific peer
reviewer comments and NOAA Fisheries’ responses are in our Peer Review
Reports <http://www.cio.noaa.gov/services_programs/prplans/ID43.html>.
Additionally, there were three public comment periods, where there is a
published Federal Register Notice
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/08/04/2016-18462/technical-guidance-for-assessing-the-effects-of-anthropogenic-sound-on-marine-mammal>
summarizing substantive public comments and NOAA Fisheries’ responses.

NOAA Fisheries advises the public to focus their comments, for this 45-day
comment period, on those relating to the review of the 2016 Technical
Guidance under EO 13795. For example, we welcome comments on two particular
aspects of the Technical Guidance: 1) Peer-reviewed scientific literature:
information regarding the availability of published new science relevant to
marine mammal hearing or impacts of noise on hearing since the publication
of the Technical Guidance and suggestions for how to consider new
information within the Technical Guidance, and 2) Implementation support:
recommendations regarding how NOAA Fisheries can further aid in the
application and implementation of the Technical Guidance (based on
difficulties encountered and/or ways we can facilitate and/or improve
implementation for action proponents).

Electronic copies of the document 2016 Technical Guidance are available at
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/guidelines.htm and the Federal
eRulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov. Comments may also be
submitted via the Federal eRulemaking Portal starting May 31 (
http://www.regulations.gov, search for NOAA-NMFS-2013-0177).

Thank you for your interest in the Technical Guidance. For more
information, please contact Amy Scholik-Schlomer (amy.scho...@noaa.gov or 301
427-8449 <(301)%20427-8449>).

*Amy R. Scholik-Schlomer, Ph.D.*
Fishery Biologist (Protected Resources Acoustic Coordinator)
NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service
Office of Protected Resources
Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Conservation Division
1315 East-West Hwy.
SSMC3, Rm. 13605
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 427-8449