Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following note:

Louis M., Buanic M., Lefeuvre C., Le Nilliot P., Ridoux V. and Spitz J. 2017.
Strong bonds and small home range in a resident bottlenose dolphin community in
a Marine Protected Area (Brittany, France, North-East Atlantic). Marine Mammal
Science. (doi: 10.1111/mms.12419).

Short summary:
Environmental variation such as the availability of suitable habitat or food
resources may shape social variability in terrestrial and marine mammals.
Bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus, usually form temporary associations
with other individuals but they may have, in some populations, a few long-term
companions. Our study focused on a small bottlenose dolphin community, around
Sein Island, Brittany, France in the Iroise Sea Marine Protected area. The
objective of the study was to update census size, investigate social structure,
and estimate the home range of this community using photo-identification data
collected from August 2014 to October 2015. The mean association index of 0.5
(SD = 0.27) in this community of 31 dolphins, including 24 adults, is one of
the highest ever recorded. We suggest that this uncommon social structure with
strong associations among individuals may be the result of a combination of a
small group size, low trophic competition, and environmental conditions. The
core area of 5.6kmĀ² used by the dolphins was one of the smallest recorded, and
it is thus essential to protect their habitat.

The article can be download from:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12419/full or you can email me
for a copy.

Best wishes,