I would very much appreciate if you could add this message in a future issue.

<Dear MARMAM members,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce that our latest article has been
published online as an Early View in Marine Mammal Science:

Marchesi, M. C., M. S. Mora, L. E. Pimer, E. A. Crespo, and R. N. P. Goodall.
2017. Can habitat characteristics shape vertebral morphology in dolphins? An
example of two phylogenetically related species from southern South America.
Marine Mammal Science. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12432.

Abstract: Fast swimming pelagic cetacean species have osteological
characteristics that promote a more stable spine in comparison to that of
coastal species. The Peale’s dolphin (Lagenorhynchus australis) and the
hourglass dolphin (Lagenorhynchus cruciger) have a close phylogenetic
relationship and are found in coastal and pelagic waters in the Southern
Hemisphere, respectively. The aim of this work was to study the relationship
between the vertebral column’s morphology and its flexibility, across these
species of contrasting habitats. Vertebral counts and multiple measurements of
each vertebra were used to infer intervertebral flexibility. Bivariate plots
and discriminant multivariate analyses were employed to compare each functional
region along the vertebral column. Both species displayed a regionalization of
the column into three stable regions and two flexible areas, which
statistically differ in the proportion of the skeleton occupied in each
species. While the Peale’s dolphin has rounder vertebrae, associated with
higher flexibility, the hourglass dolphin has disk-shaped vertebrae and
strongly inclined processes related to high stability. Although the species are
closely related phylogenetically, vertebral morphology is influenced by a
diverse set of ecological and behavioral factors, reflecting a high degree of
vertebral plasticity within the genus.

You can access the article at:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12432/full

If you cannot download the publication, you can request a pdf by emailing to:
marches...@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Lic. María Constanza Marchesi

Becaria Doctoral/Doctoral Fellow, Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas
(CADIC-CONICET). Bernardo Houssay 200, CP V9410BFD, Ushuaia.

Teléfono (Phone): +54 (2901) 433320 ext. 153>>>>>>

Thank yo very much