Greetings!  For those interested in bycatch, there are a series of workshops at
the Halifax Biennial:
On Saturday the 28th, from 0800-1700, there is an all day workshop: Marine
mammal mortality in global fisheries: Assessment, mitigation, and capacity
building
On Sunday the 29th,  from 0800-1200, a morning workshop: Development and
implementation of low-cost methods to reduce cetacean bycatch in small scale
gillnet fisheries

On Sunday afternoon, from 1300-1700 is another workshop: Getting to the bottom
of bycatch: a toolbox for place-based risk assessment of marine mammal bycatch
I've pasted the abstract for this workshop below. We'd love to have a good
showing of scientists from around the world! Please take this workshop into
consideration when making travel plans. Let me know any questions! Thanks so
much, Ellen

Marine mammal bycatch, a major threat, poses particular challenges in
developing countries. Data to document bycatch and the effects of bycatch are
often lacking as research takes limited time, money, and training. We have
designed a suite of spatial tools that enable scientists to conduct place-based
bycatch risk assessments that can be used in sites with varying gaps in data.
The tools are hosted on a website and have open-source processing.  We will
demonstrate and train delegates to use the toolbox with existing data from our
fieldsites in Southeast Asia. We will also ask delegates to come with a summary
of their current abundance, distribution and fisheries data. Then in mixed
groups, we will determine data gaps, needs, and commonalities, such as needs
for training, outside consultants, regional workshops, funding or technology.
We will also evaluate each site using interdisciplinary methods as found in Teh
et al (2015) to determine how socio-cultural and economic dynamics contribute
to bycatch. Our output will be a joint article that will summarize our
discussions as a first global view of how these methods will support
practitioners to estimate marine mammal population abundance, bycatch,
fisheries and find effective measures to reduce bycatch to sustainable levels.
Teh, SLL, Teh, CLL, Hines, E., Junchumpoo, C., and R. Lewison.  2015.
Contextualizing the coupled socio-ecological conditions of marine megafauna
bycatch.  Ocean and Coastal Management 116: 449-465.
Ellen Hines, PhD
Associate Director and Professor of Geography & Environment
Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies
San Francisco State University
3150 Paradise Dr. Tiburon, CA 94920
415 338 3512, ehi...@sfsu.edu<mailto:ehi...@sfsu.edu>
http://rtc.sfsu.edu/research/in_hines.html