Dear Colleagues, we are convening a session on solutions to marine megafaunal
bycatch at the Ocean Sciences meeting in Portland Oregon, USA 11-16 February,
2018.
We invite you to submit your abstract here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/os18/preliminaryview.cgi/Session27803
Submission deadline: September 6th

Session ID#: 27803
Session Description:
Fisheries bycatch is a major threat to marine megafauna globally and addressing
it poses many challenges, particularly in developing countries. Fisheries
bycatch of marine megafauna is often poorly monitored or regulated, so impacts
of bycatch on local populations are not well understood. The limited
availability of quantitative data on the abundance and distribution of marine
megafauna, bycatch occurrences, encounter frequency, fishing effort, and
fishing gear use constrain estimations of bycatch rate and consequently
management action. Due to a lack of resources that impede local scientific
capacity, data limitations are often greatest in developing countries where
marine fisheries can be fundamental to local and even national economies.
Bycatch situations and solutions are local and place-based and controlled by
diverse biophysical, cultural, economic and political criteria. However,
commonalities in many of these issues need to be explored to create a common
practice to guide the creation and analysis of bycatch risk analysis locally
and globally. We will welcome presenters with examples of place-based bycatch
for a discussion of issues and solutions, especially in sites with varying gaps
in data. After presentations, we will discuss data gaps, needs, and
commonalities, and interdisciplinary methods to determine how socio-cultural
and economic dynamics contribute to bycatch.

Primary Chair:  Ellen Hines, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA,
United States
Co-chairs:  Rebecca L Lewison, San Diego State University, Biology, San Diego,
CA, United States, Andrew Frederick Johnson, Scripps Institution of
Oceanography, Marine Biology Research Division, La Jolla, CA, United States and
Gregg Verutes, National Audubon Society, San Francisco, CA, United States

Ellen Hines, PhD
Associate Director and Professor of Geography & Environment
Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies
San Francisco State University
3150 Paradise Dr. Tiburon, CA 94920
415 338 3512, ehi...@sfsu.edu<mailto:ehi...@sfsu.edu>
http://rtc.sfsu.edu/research/in_hines.html