Dear Marman Subscribers

My co-authors and I are please to announce the publication of our article
Moving towards a sustainable cetacean-based tourism industry – A case study
from Mozambique. Diana Rocha, Benjamin Drakeford, Sarah A. Marley, Jonathan
Potts, Michelle Hale, Angie Gullan.

ABSTRACT

Cetacean-Based Tourism (CBT) is often confused with sustainable tourism.
However, not every CBT operator has an environmental education component
attached to its programme. In reality, CBT has the potential to negatively
impact the animals it is targeting; thus management is required to mitigate any
harmful effects from tourism activities. This paper analyses the attitudes and
perceptions of the marine operators and tourists that partake in dolphin-swim
activities in the Ponta do Ouro Partial Marine Reserve (PPMR) in Mozambique.
Hand-out ques- tionnaire surveys with closed and Likert scale type questions
revealed that the tours are an effective means to promote pro-environmental
behaviour and consequently increase compliance with the code of conduct. Non
the less, in the PPMR, both tourists and operators presented only basic
knowledge of the regulations of the reserve and of the dolphin, whale and whale
shark code of conduct, indicating that there is a need for improvement. We
provide recommendations for improving local management, which are also
applicable at the national and international level. Overall, this paper
provides knowledge and guidance for moving towards a sustainable based CBT
industry in the PPMR.

The article can be found here: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1bNnt,714Mcsed
<https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1bNnt,714Mcsed>

Pdf requests can be made here: an...@dolphincare.org

For the Love of Dolphins

Dolphin Encountours Research Center <https://goo.gl/maps/BjzkYKUw8m6ZxL2r5>,
Main Beach, Ponta do Ouro  Mozambique
Behind beach front chalets on the way to the boat launch site!
www.dolphinencountours.org  <https://www.dolphinencountours.org/>| Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/dolphinresearchcentermoz>  |  DERC Report
<https://www.academia.edu/40944124/2018_REPORT_PONTA_DO_OURO_PARTIAL_MARINE_RESERVE_-MOZAMBIQUE>

Angie Gullan:   +258 84 330-3859
Director & Citizen Scientist

ABOUT: DolphinCareAfrica t/a Dolphin Encountours Research Center is an
Association that was established in 1998 to fund the long term monitoring of
cetaceans through educational and ethical marine mammal edu-tourism within the
Ponta do Ouro Partial Marine Reserve. Dolphin Center [Research]™ is the legal
entity in Mozambique that trades under Dolphin Encountours Research Center. We
celebrate two decades of working with the wild Dolphins of Ponta™.