This has been an enormously helpful dialogue, and my thanks to everyone who has
contributed, and especially to Eiren for initiating.

I am in the camp that believes that unpaid internships are more hurtful than
helpful, in the ways that Eiren and her colleagues’ letter explains. I have
spent the past 19 years teaching at a small liberal arts college where I am the
only “marine mammal person” on the faculty. My marine mammals course and
research projects attract every interested biology, marine science, and
environmental studies student who graces our campus, and as a result I have
taught many first generation and lower-income students over the years (which
comprise a significant percentage of our student body—we are not a typical
private college in that respect; most of our students work multiple jobs during
college in order to afford to be here. They are tired and stressed and working
their butts off to achieve their academic goals.). These students turn to me to
help them initiate their careers in marine science and conservation. Though it
is just my individual experience, I can say unequivocally that most of my
students are excluded from the career-boosting benefits of unpaid internships,
and many of them end up in other fields out of college as a result of the
failure of the marine mammal science and conservation community to provide
means of support to help these students get started. It’s the same calculus as
choosing a grad school on the basis of the amount of aid you are awarded. For
my students, it’s not a decision: you simply have to follow the money. And that
is much more true now, with the often crippling amounts of student debt that so
many carry, than it was in my day, or when Paul was teaching most of his
students at Scripps.

Finally, I’ll note that as I worked my way through grad school, I got my start
in the marine mammal field thanks to a paid internship at the Marine Mammal
Commission 30 years ago this summer—the stipend for which my mentor and then
MMC executive director John Twiss felt was his moral duty to provide. (Remember
that most federal internships in the U.S. are exempt from the Fair Labor
Standards Act, as are internships at nonprofit organizations.) For me, had John
not offered that stipend, I would not have been able to take the internship—a
summer that led directly to John offering me a job out of grad school, which
led directly to my doctoral dissertation, which led to a career in which I have
now taught many hundreds of students the joys of marine mammal science, policy,
and conservation.

I know this is all just anecdotal personal experience, but I can’t overstate
the importance that this issue has played in my life as a student and teacher,
so I wanted to share.

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Rich

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.
Pronouns: He/Him/His

and

Educator-in-Residence
Northern Rockies Conservation Cooperative
Jackson, WY
http://nrccooperative.org

[A picture containing drawing  Description automatically
generated]<https://www.ursinus.edu/academics/environmental-studies/>