Dear MARMAM,  My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of
our new paper on harbor seals in Washington State, USA:
Estimating the stock size of harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardii) in the
inland waters of Washington State using line-transect methods
Thomas A. Jefferson, Mari A. Smultea, Eric J. Ward, and Barry Berejikian

Abstract
Harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardii) in the inland waters of Washington were
reduced by
predator control programs in the twentieth century, but stocks have rebounded
since being
protected in the 1970s. Three management stocks are recognized, but there is
little information
on their current abundance. We conducted 38,431 km of aerial line-transect
surveys
throughout the range of these stocks in 2013–2016, sighting a total of 4,678
groups of harbor
seals. Line-transect analysis with Beaufort sea state as a covariate provided
estimates
of the number of seals in the water. We then incorporated tagging data from 15
instrumented
seals to develop correction factors, both for seals missed in the water while
diving, and
those that were on shore. Tagging data were modeled with generalized linear
mixed models
to provide estimates of the proportions diving and hauled out. After applying
these correction
factors, we estimated that the Hood Canal stock contained 1,368 seals (CV =
16.8%), the
Southern Puget Sound stock contained 1,976 seals (CV = 20.5%), and the
Washington
Northern Inland Waters stock contained 7,513 seals (CV = 11.5%). This study
presents a
non-traditional approach to estimating the size of Washington inland waters
harbor seal
stocks, which may also be applicable to other species for which survey and
tagging data are available.
The paper is open-acces and can be downloaded from this link:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0241254
Best wishes,Tom jeffersonsclym...@aol.com