Dear colleagues,

Hope you are all well, healthy and spending a lot of time in the field and with
your loved ones.

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce our new article in
Frontiers in Marine Science:

Syme, J., Kiszka, J.J., and Parra, G.J. (2021). Dynamics of Cetacean
Mixed-Species Groups: A Review and Conceptual Framework for Assessing Their
Functional Significance. 8(734). doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.678173

ABSTRACT:

Numerous species of cetaceans have been recorded in mixed-species groups
(MSGs). By forming groups with individuals of different species, cetaceans may
reduce predation risk, improve foraging, and gain social benefits. Most
accounts of cetacean MSGs, however, are descriptive and little is known about
their functions. Furthermore, research has been hindered by inconsistent use of
terminology and the lack of a conceptual framework to guide investigations. We
reviewed the cetacean literature to compare how MSGs have been termed and
defined, to assess their characteristics, to evaluate what is known about their
potential functions, and to provide directions for future study. In total, we
reviewed 203 studies reporting observations of cetacean MSGs. These MSGs
involved 54 different species, predominantly delphinids, that formed 216
different species pairs with varied morphologies and levels of relatedness.
Cetacean MSGs occurred across the globe, from tropical to cold temperate seas,
from shallow coastal waters to the open ocean, and varied in characteristics
such as group size and frequency of occurrence. Only 27 of the reviewed studies
proposed and discussed the potential functions of cetacean MSGs, suggesting
reduced predation risk (5 species pairs), improved foraging (17 species pairs),
and social benefits (12 species pairs) as the main drivers. In most cases,
however, the factors that drive the formation of cetacean MSGs remain unknown.
Amongst the reviewed studies, MSGs were referred to by various terms, often
with no explicit definitions. To reduce this inconsistency, we recommend that
future studies use only the term mixed-species group which we define as
individuals of two or more species found in close spatial proximity due to
mutual or unreciprocated attraction derived from evolutionary grouping
benefits. There were also few structured investigations to confirm MSG
occurrence and to analyse their potential causes and consequences. To
facilitate the study of cetacean MSGs, we developed a conceptual framework that
establishes diverse approaches to, firstly, distinguish MSGs from chance
encounters and aggregations and to, secondly, investigate their potential
functions. This is necessary if we are to advance this field of study and
improve our understanding of the role that MSGs play in species and community
ecology.

This article is an open access publication accessible to readers anywhere in
the world: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.678173

All the best,
Guido

Guido J. Parra, PhD
Associate Professor | College of Science and Engineering
Research leader | Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL)

Staff: http://www.flinders.edu.au/people/guido.parra

[cid:image001.png@01D4A51A.6B556BC0]@GuidoJParra<https://twitter.com/GuidoJParra>
 | @CEBELresearch | <https://twitter.com/CEBELresearch>
GoogleScholar<https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=7YisEoAAAAAJ>
| ResearchGate<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Guido_Parra> |
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/guido-j-parra-093217183/>

Flinders University, GPO Box 2100 Adelaide, SA 5001 Australia
Tel: +61 8 8201 3565|email:
guido.pa...@flinders.edu.au<mailto:guido.pa...@flinders.edu.au>