Dear colleagues,

On behalf of myself and my co-authors, we are pleased to announce the
publication of our new paper in PLoS ONE.

Ames AE, Blackwell SB, Tervo OM, Heide-Jørgensen MP (2021) Evidence of
stereotyped
contact call use in narwhal (Monodon monoceros) mother-calf communication. PLoS
ONE 16(8):
e0254393. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254393

Abstract:

Narwhals (Monodon monoceros) are gregarious toothed whales that strictly reside
in the
high Arctic. They produce a broad range of signal types; however, studies of
narwhal vocalizations
have been mostly descriptive of the sounds available in the species’ overall
repertoire.
Little is known regarding the functions of highly stereotyped mixed calls (i.e.,
biphonations with both sound elements produced simultaneously), although
preliminary evidence
has suggested that such vocalizations are individually distinctive and function
as contact
calls. Here we provide evidence that supports this notion in narwhal mother-calf
communication. A female narwhal was tagged as part of larger studies on the
life history
and acoustic behavior of narwhals. At the time of tagging, it became apparent
that the
female had a calf, which remained close by during the tagging event. We found
that the narwhal
mother produced a distinct, highly stereotyped mixed call when separated from
her calf
and immediately after release from capture, which we interpret as preliminary
evidence for
contact call use between the mother and her calf. The mother’s mixed call
production
occurred continually over the 4.2 day recording period in addition to a second
prominent but
different stereotyped mixed call which we believe belonged to the narwhal calf.
Thus, narwhal
mothers produce highly stereotyped contact calls when separated from their
calves,
and it appears that narwhal calves similarly produce distinct, stereotyped
mixed calls which
we hypothesize also contribute to maintaining mother-calf contact. We compared
this
behavior to the acoustic behavior of two other adult females without calves,
but also each
with a unique, stereotyped call type. While we provide additional support for
individual distinctiveness across narwhal contact calls, more research is
necessary to determine whether
these calls are vocal signatures which broadcast identity.

The publication can be open-accessed via
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254393 or you can email a request for a
PDF to aa...@oceanografic.org<mailto:aa...@oceanografic.org>.

Many thanks for your interest in the article, and thank you to the PLOS ONE
editors and the reviewers of the publication for their contributions to the
finished article.

Best,
Audra

--