Dear MARMAM readers,
On-behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication:

Acoustic detections of beaked whales, narrow-band high-frequency pulses and
other odontocete cetaceans in the Southern Ocean using an autonomous towed
hydrophone recorder
https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1dtZl3Ruf1FyOn

Abstract:
Encased in a streamlined, flooded housing, a SoundTrap ST300HF hydrophone
recording system was towed on voyages to South Georgia Island and the South
Sandwich Islands and to the Antarctic Peninsula in December 2019–February 2020.
Recordings were analyzed to identify acoustic detections of cetacean species.
Acoustically identified species included sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus),
southern bottlenose whales (Hyperoodon planifrons), Arnoux's beaked whales
(Berardius arnuxii), killer whales (Orcinus orca), and long-finned pilot whales
(Globicephala melas). Acoustic detections also included several recognized
types of beaked whale echolocation pulses (BW37/39 and BW58) as well as two
likely beaked whale echolocation pulse types that do not match any previous
descriptions. Narrow-band high-frequency echolocation signals (NBHF) (typical
of porpoises and some dolphin species) were detected in many locations, and one
of these coincided with a sighting of hourglass dolphins (Lagenorhynchus
cruciger). This study shows the utility of an autonomous towed hydrophone
system on a vessel of opportunity to study the distribution of cetaceans in
rough seas that are difficult to study by visual survey methods.

…which is to say, beaked whales are awesome even when you can’t see em. Email
me if you’d like a pdf, and especially if you have a plan to sail a vessel at
<= 10kn across big remote oceans, have a fondness for slightly punishing gear
deployments at all hours, and want to do something like we did :-)

Good health and great whales to all,
Ted

—
Ted Cheeseman