Dear Colleagues,

For Aquatic Mammals journal, I share with you the following call for
submissions:
A Special Issue to Celebrate Aquatic Mammals journal’s 50th Anniversary

Anecdotal Observations of Aquatic Mammals

In 1972, Aquatic Mammals journal began publishing mostly narrative accounts
related to the care, nutrition, transport, and housing of aquatic mammals, with
a focus on dolphins and pinnipeds. Over the years, as our understanding and
knowledge of aquatic mammals increased, contributions shifted to focus on
topics and samples that could be assessed quantitatively. It is understood that
scientific studies (research generally) are based on a foundation of
reproduceable methodologies with multiple observations and data points assessed
statistically.

Now, 50 years later, we are pleased to announce a planned special issue of
Aquatic Mammals that acknowledges how the journal began and welcomes the
insight to be gained from rare observations of individuals in both in- and
ex-situ settings.

Most marine mammals are cryptic, difficult to observe, and often require large
costs and time to compile samples that allow for a rigorous assessment. Even in
the 2020s, for many species, a simple dated geographic location or single
observation of behavior provides invaluable insight and direction for research.
Unforeseen and unique behaviors (actions and interactions) may offer unexpected
insight into the nature and society of a cryptic species. Rare behaviors (e.g.,
tool use, infanticide) or unusual circumstances allow the observer a more
refined view of an individual, small group, or species–yet these observations
are usually not available for distribution through the peer-review platform.
The current scientific, peer-review literature does not typically encourage
publication of ‘anecdotal’ observations. As such, these insights, if not
archived in some manner, may be lost from the collective record.

This special issue in Aquatic Mammals is intended to celebrate the insight that
can be gained from rare or opportunistic observations in the field or in a
managed care setting and is dedicated to capturing these observations for the
record. We encourage contributors to set their accounts into the literature as
much as possible, to contextualize the anecdote (single or rare observation)
such that its scope, generality, and potential application are recognized and
that it might inspire new research and avenues of thought. Our goal is to offer
this special issue as a collective record so these insights and observations
may provide perspective to our research and the animals we study.

Logistics

Submissions - content

We encourage contributors to write their observation(s) into a short narrative
that will be reviewed by experts in the field so that well-supported, relevant
anecdotes will be published. A recommended length ranges from 2,500-5,000
words, not including references. If available, photographs can be included as
figures. Space will be available for supplemental video files (edited to final
format for review, contact the managing editor with questions about video
format).

Examples include new and rare behaviors, especially those documented
photographically (or with video) at the time of the observation. First or only
sightings of a species in a never-before-documented location is another example.

Deadlines

30 April 2022 – deadline to submit a manuscript for peer-review consideration
1 May – 30 June 2022 – review process of all submitted manuscripts
1 July 2022 – date by which all review decisions delivered to contributors
1 July – 15 Aug. 2022 – contributors revise manuscripts and return to journal
for copyediting
15 Aug – 31 Oct. 2022 – review galleys as available, confirm final versions,
page fees paid (See the journal website for details on page fees, or contact
the managing editor.)

Planned Publication Issue/Date

Issue 48.6: The special issue is planned for the 6th issue of volume 48 in
Aquatic Mammals, that publishes on 15 November 2022.

Costs

Typical page fees will apply for publication in Aquatic Mammals. These fees are
described on the journal’s web site (page fee description
<https://www.aquaticmammalsjournal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=120>).
 In brief, page fees are charged based on the number of galley pages, not word
document pages. Contact the managing editor with questions.

To Submit a Manuscript:

Visit out Manuscript Fast track web site at:

http://am.expressacademic.org/actions/author.php
<http://am.expressacademic.org/actions/author.php>

For more Information, contact Aquatic Mammals journal’s managing editor:

Kathleen M. Dudzinski, Ph.D.

Managing Editor, Aquatic Mammals

busin...@aquaticmammalsjournal.org <mailto:busin...@aquaticmammalsjournal.org>