Topic: New publication on olfaction in the bowhead whale (*Balaena
mysticetus*) (Ian Farnkopf)

My co-authors and I are excited to present to you our publication that
provides guidance on how to identify olfactory epithelium histologically in
mammals, shows olfactory epithelium in bowhead whales (*Balaena mysticetus*),
and supports the notion that baleen whales have a sense of smell.
Additionally, we describe the gross anatomy of the nasal chambers in a
preterm fetus, a full-term fetus, and a subadult bowhead.

Farnkopf, I. C., George, J. C., Kishida, T., Hillmann, D. J., Suydam, R.
S., & Thewissen, J. G. M. (2022). Olfactory epithelium and ontogeny of the
nasal chambers in the bowhead whale (*Balaena mysticetus*). *Anatomical
Record*, 1–25. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24682
It is in a special issue on marine mammal sensory systems.

Abstract:
In a species of baleen whale, we identify olfactory epithelium that
suggests a functional sense of smell and document the ontogeny of the
surrounding olfactory anatomy. Whales must surface to breathe, thereby
providing an opportunity to detect airborne odorants. Although many toothed
whales (odontocetes) lack olfactory anatomy, baleen whales (mysticetes)
have retained theirs. Here, we investigate fetal and postnatal specimens of
bowhead whales (*Balaena mysticetus*). Computed tomography (CT) reveals the
presence of nasal passages and nasal chambers with simple ethmoturbinates
through ontogeny. Additionally, we describe the dorsal nasal meatuses and
olfactory bulb chambers. The cribriform plate has foramina that communicate
with the nasal chambers. We show this anatomy within the context of the
whole prenatal and postnatal skull. We document the tunnel for the
ethmoidal nerve (ethmoid foramen) and the rostrolateral recess of the nasal
chamber, which appears postnatally. Bilateral symmetry was apparent in the
postnatal nasal chambers. No such symmetry was found prenatally, possibly
due to tissue deformation. No nasal air sacs were found in fetal
development. Olfactory epithelium, identified histologically, covers at
least part of the ethmoturbinates. We identify olfactory epithelium using
six explicit criteria of mammalian olfactory epithelium.
Immunohistochemistry revealed the presence of olfactory marker protein
(OMP), which is only found in mature olfactory sensory neurons. Although it
seems that these neurons are scarce in bowhead whales compared to typical
terrestrial mammals, our results suggest that bowhead whales have a
functional sense of smell, which they may use to find prey.

Feel free to email me if you're not able to access the full-text at
https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24682
I'd be happy to send you a PDF copy,
Ian Farnkopf
ifarn...@kent.edu
Ph.D Candidate | Kent State University
Thewissen Laboratory | Northeast Ohio Medical University
Instructor | Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine