Dear MARMAM community,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our new research paper in
frontiers in Marine Science special edition Whales and Climate, where we found
variability in feeding patterns of humpback and southern right whales are
linked to changes in climate.

Dedden AV and Rogers TL (2022) Stable Isotope Oscillations in Whale Baleen Are
Linked to Climate Cycles, Which May Reflect Changes in Feeding for Humpback and
Southern Right Whales in the Southern Hemisphere. Front. Mar. Sci. 9:832075.
doi: 10.3389/fmars.2022.832075

Abstract:
Baleen whales that undertake extensive long-distance migrations away from
reliable food sources must depend on body reserves acquired prior to migration.
Prey abundance fluctuates, which has been linked in some regions with climate
cycles. However, where historically these cycles have been predictable, due to
climate change they are occurring at higher frequencies and intensities. We
tested if there were links between variability in whale feeding patterns and
changes in climate cycles including the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO),
Southern Annular Mode (SAM), and Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD). To reconstruct
feeding patterns we used the values of bulk stable isotopes of nitrogen (δ15N)
and carbon (δ13C) assimilated within the baleen plates of 18 humpback and 4
southern right whales between 1963 and 2019, then matched them with climate
anomalies from the time in which the section of baleen grew. We show that
variability in stable isotope values within baleen for both humpback and
southern right whales is linked with shifts in climate cycles and may imply
changes in feeding patterns due to resource availability. However, these
relationships differed depending on the oceanic region in which the whales
feed. In the western Pacific, Southern Ocean feeding humpback whales had
elevated nitrogen and carbon stable isotope values during La Niña and positive
SAM phases when lagged 4 years, potentially reflecting reduced feeding
opportunities. On the other hand, in the Indian Ocean the opposite occurs,
where lower nitrogen and carbon stable isotope values were found during
positive SAM phases at 2–4-year lag periods for both Southern Ocean feeding
humpback and southern right whales, which may indicate improved feeding
opportunities. Identifying links between stable isotope values and changes in
climate cycles may contribute to our understanding of how complex oscillation
patterns in baleen are formed. As projections of future climate scenarios
emphasise there will be greater variability in climate cycles and thus the
primary food source of baleen whales, we can then use these links to
investigate how long-term feeding patterns may change in the future.

Open access paper available at:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2022.832075/full

Media:
https://cosmosmagazine.com/nature/marine-life/baleen-whales-isotopes/

All the best,
Adelaide Dedden

PhD Candidate
Mammal lab | Centre for Marine Science and Innovation
Evolution & Ecology Research Centre
Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences
UNSW SYDNEY NSW | 2052 | Australia
E: a.ded...@unsw.edu.au<mailto:a.ded...@unsw.edu.au>
Twitter: @AdelaideDedden