On behalf of my colleagues, I am pleased to share our latest publication from
the South African Bryde’s whale tagging project, now on Early View in

Conservation Science and Practice

https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/csp2.12646

Abstract

Recent changes in the South African marine ecosystem and the introduction of an
experimental octopus fishery have resulted in an unsustainably high rate of
fatal Bryde's whale entanglements. Using suction-cup attached bio-loggers, we
identified a previously undescribed feeding behavior used by Bryde's whales to
catch prey, and this behavior may make them susceptible to entanglement and
mortality in bottom-mounted fishing gear. As they chase down their prey,
inshore Bryde's whales sprint and maneuver along the seafloor for extended
periods of time, making multiple direction changes, and reaching
extraordinarily high swimming speeds. These findings assisted in the
implementation of mandatory changes to octopus fishing gear that have
drastically reduced the number of entanglements. The novel finding that Bryde's
whales use high-speed chases near the seafloor to catch their prey highlights
the value of using species-specific, behavioral information for making
conservation recommendations.

Kindest regards,

Jacopo Di Clemente - M.Sc. Marine Science
PhD Fellow - University of Copenhagen, Department of Biology, Section for
Ecology and Evolution, Behavioural Ecology Group - Universitetsparken 15,
Building 3, 1st floor, 2100 Copenhagen East, Denmark
https://www.behavioural-ecology-group.com/projects/
https://www.facebook.com/BehaVEco
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jacopo_Di_Clemente2
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacopo-di-clemente-78786160/