Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce the publication of the following
paper in Marine Ecology Progress Series:

Christiansen, F., Bejder, L., Burnell, S., Ward, R. & Charlton, C. 2022.
Estimating the cost of growth in southern right whales from drone
photogrammetry data and long-term sighting histories. Marine Ecology Progress
Series 687: 173-194.

Abstract:
Animal body size and growth patterns play important roles in shaping the life
history of species. Baleen whales include the largest animals on the planet,
with somatic growth costs expected to be substantial. We used unmanned aerial
vehicle photogrammetry and long-term individual sighting histories from photo
identification (1991-2019) to estimate the cost of somatic growth for southern
right whales (SRWs) Eubalaena australis. A Richards length-at-age growth model
was developed, based on 161 calves, 20 yearlings, 1 juvenile and 23 adults,
ranging in age from newborn to 27 yr. Predicted lengths were 4.7 m at birth,
12.5 m at minimum age of first parturition (6 yr) and an asymptotic length of
14.3 m. A volume-at-age curve was estimated from the body volume versus length
relationship, and converted to a mass-at-age curve, using data on body tissue
composition of North Pacific right whales E. japonica (n = 13). The energetic
cost of growth was estimated using published estimates of tissue lipid and
protein concentrations. The cost of growth for SRWs (in MJ d-1) was 2112 at
birth, 544 at 4 mo, 314 at 1 yr (~weaning age), 108 at 5 yr (minimum age of
sexual maturity), 51.5 at 10 yr and 5.2 at 30 yr. The cumulative cost to age 30
was 764.3 GJ, but varied widely (458-995 GJ) depending on the tissue energy
content. Our estimates represent a healthy SRW population, and provide a
baseline to investigate individual and population level impacts of
anthropogenic disturbance (including climate change).

The paper can be accessed (for subscribers) from the following link:
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v687/p173-194/

If your institute does not have a subscription, feel free to email me and I
will send you a copy directly.

Best regards,

Fredrik Christiansen
Assistant Professor
Zoophysiology, Department of Biology, Aarhus University
C.F. Møllers Allé 3, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
f.christian...@bio.au.dk
http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=vkA5Y3EAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fredrik_Christiansen3/?ev=hdr_xprf