The Montenegro Dolphin Research is a scientific project run by Marine

Mammals Research Association (DMAD). Our study is the only long term

research study of marine mammals in Montenegrin and Albanian coastal

waters.  We aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance,

distribution and behavior, define critical habitats and investigate the

impact of major threats, ranging from tourism to seismic practices.  Our

wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of awareness

initiatives targeted at the local community, particularly youth and women.

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is a valuable

opportunity for graduates that wish to gain experience in the marine mammal

research field, and undergraduates that would like to obtain internship

academic credits.  It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc

and MSc thesis. However, we are also open to accept applications from

anyone whose love for dolphins is strong and sincere.

Opportunities are available starting from May 2022 onwards.

FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including

sunrise and sunset hours;

-Performing boat-based surveys once a week, weather allowing

-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavior data, as well as environmental

and anthropogenic data;

-Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras;

-Data entry and analysis;

-Cataloging and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID studies

via Discovery software;

-Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions.

-Promoting citizen-science activities

TRAINING

The Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides intensive lectures and field

work training as well as constant mentoring every week.

You will be given the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used

in marine mammals research such as:

-ArcGIS mapping

-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software;

-Photo-identification;

-Discovery and Logger 2010 software;

-Systematic data collection and data analysis;

-Visual and acoustic behaviour of marine mammals

-Scientific manuscript and technical report writing skills

PROJECT PARTICIPATION FEE

The positions require a contribution fee of 950 Euros/ month which fully

goes to support the project and the participation fee includes:

-Accommodation and expenses

-Transportation between the project sites within and between Montenegro and

Albania

-Training and lectures

-Scientific support

-Field work

-Use of the equipment

Applicants are responsible for their transportation to/from Montenegro,

meals, insurance (all participants should have health and/or travel

insurance) and personal expenses.

HOW TO APPLY

Email your CV to i...@dmad.org.tr, explaining why you are the perfect asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us!

Please mention the PERIOD OF INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!

If you wish to have more info about our work and get to know us better

follow our websites:

DMAD - Marine Mammals Research Association

All the best,

Dr. Aylin Akkaya

Director of Marine Mammals Research Association (DMAD)

Marine Mammal Consultant of WWF-Turkey

Research Director of Montenegro Dolphin Research (MDR)

+38260024363

skype: aylin.akkaya3