Dear MARMAM members,
I am pleased to announce the open-access publication of our study "A stochastic
model for estimating sustainable limits to wildlife mortality in a changing
world" in Conservation Biology. In that study we are introducing a new modeling
tool to determine sustainable limits to human-caused mortality of wildlife. We
called this approach 'SAMSE' for ‘Sustainable Anthropogenic Mortality in
Stochastic Environments' and applied this to a case study of bottlenose
dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) that are impacted by fisheries bycatch in Western
Australia. The main feature of this new method is that it allows us to
incorporate stochastic, chance events. We found that current levels of bycatch
in the region are unsustainable--especially when incorporating environmental
and demographic stochasticity.

Oliver Manlik, Robert C. Lacy, William B. Sherwin, Hugh Finn, Neil R.
Loneragan, Simon J. Allen
(2022). A stochastic model for estimating sustainable limits to wildlife
mortality in a changing world. Conservation Biology, e13897.
https://doi.org/10.1111/cobi.13897

The article is available here, and the abstract is below:
https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cobi.13897

Abstract:
Human-caused mortality of wildlife is a pervasive threat to biodiversity.
Assessing the population-level impact of fisheries bycatch and other
human-caused mortality of wildlife has typically relied upon deterministic
methods. However, population declines are often accelerated by stochastic
factors that are not accounted for in such conventional methods. Building on
the widely applied potential biological removal (PBR) equation, we devised a
new population modeling approach for estimating sustainable limits to
human-caused mortality and applied it in a case study of bottlenose dolphins
affected by capture in an Australian demersal otter trawl fishery. Our
approach, termed sustainable anthropogenic mortality in stochastic environments
(SAMSE), incorporates environmental and demographic stochasticity, including
the dependency of offspring on their mothers. The SAMSE limit is the maximum
number of individuals that can be removed without causing negative stochastic
population growth. We calculated a PBR of 16.2 dolphins per year based on the
best abundance estimate available. In contrast, the SAMSE model indicated that
only 2.3–8.0 dolphins could be removed annually without causing a population
decline in a stochastic environment. These results suggest that reported
bycatch rates are unsustainable in the long term, unless reproductive rates are
consistently higher than average. The difference between the deterministic PBR
calculation and the SAMSE limits showed that deterministic approaches may
underestimate the true impact of human-caused mortality of wildlife. This
highlights the importance of integrating stochasticity when evaluating the
impact of bycatch or other human-caused mortality on wildlife, such as hunting,
lethal control measures, and wind turbine collisions. Although population
viability analysis (PVA) has been used to evaluate the impact of human-caused
mortality, SAMSE represents a novel PVA framework that incorporates
stochasticity for estimating acceptable levels of human-caused mortality. It
offers a broadly applicable, stochastic addition to the demographic toolbox to
evaluate the impact of human-caused mortality on wildlife.

On behalf of my co-authors, Simon J. Allen, Bob R. Lacy, Bill Sherwin, Hugh
Finn and Neil Loneragan.

Greetings, Oliver Manlik

Dr. Oliver Manlik
Adjunct Lecturer
Ecology and Evolution Research Centre
Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences (BEES)
University of New South Wales
Sydney, NSW 2052
Australia

E-mail: o.man...@unsw.edu.au<mailto:o.man...@unsw.edu.au>