Dear MARMAM community,

I am pleased to announce the recent publication of our article "Quantifying the
response of Blainville's beaked whales to U.S. naval sonar exercises in Hawaii"
in Marine Mammal Science. We used multi-stage GAMs to account for the
underlying distribution of beaked whales and the spatial intensity of naval
sonar and think that this approach could be useful to others working on
undesigned experiments where both animal density and stressor intensity vary
spatially.

Jacobson, E. K., Henderson, E. E., Miller, D. L., Oedekoven, C. S., Moretti, D.
J., & Thomas, L. (2022). Quantifying the response of Blainville's beaked whales
to U.S. naval sonar exercises in Hawaii. Marine Mammal Science,1–17.
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12944

Abstract:

Behavioral responses of beaked whales (family Ziphiidae) to naval use of
mid-frequency active sonar (MFAS) have been quantified for some species and
regions. We describe the effects of MFAS on the probability of detecting diving
groups of Blainville's beaked whales on the U.S. Navy Pacific Missile Range
Facility (PMRF) in Hawaii and compare our results to previously published
results for the same species at the Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation
Center (AUTEC) in the Bahamas. We use passive acoustic data collected at
bottom-mounted hydrophones before and during six naval training exercises at
PMRF along with modelled sonar received levels to describe the effect of
training and MFAS on foraging groups of Blainville's beaked whales. We use a
multistage generalized additive modeling approach to control for the underlying
spatial distribution of vocalizations under baseline conditions. At an MFAS
received level of 150 dB re 1 μPa rms the probability of detecting groups of
Blainville's beaked whales decreases by 77%, 95% CI [67%, 84%] compared to
periods when general training activity was ongoing and by 87%, 95% CI [81%,
91%] compared to baseline conditions. Our results indicate a more pronounced
response to naval training and MFAS than has been previously reported.

Cheers,

Eiren, Liz, Dave, Cornelia, Dave, and Len

Eiren Kate Jacobson, PhD (she/they)

Research Fellow

Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

School of Mathematics and Statistics

University of St Andrews

eiren.jacob...@st-andrews.ac.uk