Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
paper entitled "A real-time data assimilative forecasting system for animal
tracking" in the journal Ecology.

Randon, M., Dowd, M., & Joy, R. (2022). A real‐time data assimilative
forecasting system for animal tracking. Ecology, e3718.

Abstract

Monitoring technologies now provide real-time animal location information,
which opens up the possibility of developing forecasting systems to fuse these
data with movement models to predict future trajectories. State-space modeling
approaches are well established for retrospective location estimation and
behavioral inference through state and parameter estimation. Here we use a
state-space model within a comprehensive data assimilative framework for
probabilistic animal movement forecasting. Real-time location information is
combined with stochastic movement model predictions to provide forecasts of
future animal locations and trajectories, as well as estimates of key
behavioral parameters. Implementation uses ensemble-based sequential Monte
Carlo methods (a particle filter). We first apply the framework to an idealized
case using a nondimensional animal movement model based on a continuous-time
random walk process. A set of numerical forecasting experiments demonstrates
the workflow and key features, such as the online estimation of behavioral
parameters using state augmentation, the use of potential functions for habitat
preference, and the role of observation error and sampling frequency on
forecast skill. For a realistic demonstration, we adapt the framework to
short-term forecasting of the endangered southern resident killer whale (SRKW)
in the Salish Sea using visual sighting information wherein the potential
function reflects historical habitat utilization of SRKW. We successfully
estimate whale locations up to 2.5 h in advance with a moderate prediction
error (<5 km), providing reasonable lead-in time to mitigate vessel–whale
interactions. It is argued that this forecasting framework can be used to
synthesize diverse data types and improve animal movement models and behavioral
understanding and has the potential to lead to important advances in movement
ecology.

The full text is available Open Access following this link:
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ecy.3718

If you have questions, feel free to contact me at this address:
mran...@ifremer.fr

Best wishes,

Dr. Marine Randon

Postdoctoral fellow