Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our recent publication in *Marine Mammal Science*
:

Barba-Acuña, I. D., Gallo-Reynoso, J. P., Guevara-Medina, M. Á., Markaida,
U., & Ortega-Borchardt, J. Á. (2022). Population assessment and feeding
ecology on a new colony of the Guadalupe fur seal (*Arctocephalus philippii
townsendi*) on Farallón de San Ignacio Island, Gulf of California,
Mexico. *Marine
Mammal Science*, https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12953

Note summary:

The Guadalupe fur seal (*Arctocephalus philippii townsendi*) was
commercially extinct in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its populations are
now recovering. Guadalupe Island is the only breeding colony. We found a
new colony on Farallón de San Ignacio Island, in the southern Gulf of
California. This island is used as a resting and foraging colony mainly by
juveniles and subadults during autumn-winter. Fur seals fed mainly on
ommastrephid squids during the early colonization stages. The continued
monitoring of this species is necessary for understanding its dispersal
behavior and use of terrestrial habitat at Farallón de San Ignacio Island
and other islands of the Gulf of California. This is important information
for the conservation and management of this endangered species that is
colonizing islands in the southern Gulf of California.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

All the best,

M.C. José Ángel Ortega Borchardt
+52 (662) 137 6171
ResearchGate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jose-Ortega-Borchardt>