Dear ECS members and followers,
We are pleased to announce that the 34th annual European Cetacean Society
Conference will be taking place in O Grove, Galicia, North-western Spain, by
the Atlantic Ocean. This conference is being locally organized by the
Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute (BDRI) https://www.thebdri.com
<https://www.thebdri.com/>, a marine science center dedicated to research,
education, and conservation of marine mammals and birds. The theme of our next
conference is:
‘OUR OCEANS, OUR FUTURE. MARINE MAMMAL BEHAVIOURAL ECOLOGY & THE SUSTAINABLE
USE OF MARINE RESOURCES '

To talk about sustainability and rational or fair use of marine resources, it
is inevitable to address and recognise the importance of a better understanding
of the ecology and behaviour of marine mammals and their environment. Like
marine mammals, many human communities depend directly or indirectly on marine
ecosystems and their biodiversity for their livelihoods. This is the case in
Galicia, where fishing and aquaculture are among the most representative
economic activities associated with the use of marine resources. Effective
management of marine biodiversity conservation is based on science. Likewise,
the conservation of marine mammals represents a fundamental field of action to
guarantee the balance of marine ecosystems. Therefore, under this theme we are
inviting the scientific community to submit any topic related to issues of
science and conservation and to contribute together to the conservation of the
cetaceans and our future.
Participants in the 2023 conference are encouraged to present works that relate
to this theme or otherwise consider how this issue affects their work.
We urge you to keep these deadlines in mind:

WORKSHOPS: 16-17 April 2023
CONFERENCE: 18-19-20 April 2023

Call for Abstracts Opens:
Wednesday 15 September 2023

Abstract submission deadline:
09 December 2023 (23:45 CET)

Early Bird Registration Deadline:
15 February 2023 (23:45 CET)

Late registration deadline & Video abstract submission deadline:
15 March 2023 (23:45 CET)

By now, this is a purely “SAVE THE DATES” communication and much more detail
will follow soon both though our Social Media channels and website.
We look forward to seeing you in Galicia and enjoy together the natural beauty
of O Grove’s coast line.
Best wishes,
Joan Gonzalvo PhD. - ECS Chairman