Dear colleagues,
My co-authors and I are sharing here our new paper "Dynamics of
short‑finned pilot whales long‑term social structure in Madeira."

Esteban, R. Verborgh, P., Freitas, L. Dynamics of short‑finned pilot
whales long‑term social structurein Madeira. Mamm Biol (2022).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-022-00280-0
<https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-022-00266-y>

Abstract: The associations of social individuals are normally represented
by a social network, which is a static representation of dynamic
relationships, generally influenced by spatio-temporal, demographic,
environmental and kinship drivers. We examined the social structure of core
resident short-finned pilot whales off Madeira, an archipelago in the
Northeast Atlantic, delineating their spatial overlapping, temporal
evolution, demographic process and site fidelity, between two sub-periods
(1997–2013 and 2014–2019). Decades of individual photo-identification work
showed that social clusters were formed by preferred companions. The
results indicate that this short-finned pilot whale community consists of
social clusters, with most individuals showing long-term stability of
cluster membership. However, clusters can be also subject to dynamic
changes, and sometime split up into two which may be due to an increase in
the number of individuals in the original cluster and, consequently,
challenges to maintaining associations among individuals in large groups.
In general, the probability of associations among core resident individuals
within a cluster decreased with time (decreased by half in 18–54 years),
which was related to demographic events. All clusters showed highly
overlapping distribution areas, suggesting that their social structure is
not driven by spatial factors but likely social preferences.

You can access the full text on
https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-022-00280-0
<https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-022-00266-y> ; read it online on
https://rdcu.be/cVKHY ; through researchgate