Dear MARMAM Colleagues
On behalf on my co-authors, I am excited to announce the publication of our
latest paper that investigated the sources of underwater noise and the effects
of underwater noise on the probability of detecting whale calls off the west
coast of South Africa:

Shabangu FW, Yemane D, Best G, and Estabrook BJ (2022). Acoustic detectability
of whales amidst underwater noise off the west coast of South Africa. Marine
Pollution Bulletin 184: 114122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2022.114122
Abstract
Anthropogenic underwater noise has been shown to negatively affect marine
organisms globally; yet little to no noise research has been conducted in most
African waters including South Africa's. This study aimed to quantitatively
describe sources of underwater noise and effects of underwater noise on the
acoustic detectability of Antarctic blue, fin, minke, humpback, and sperm
whales off South Africa's west coast. Noise from vessel traffic (<35 km to the
location of recorders) dominated the soundscape below 500 Hz while
wind-generated noise increased with wind speed above 5 m s-1 and dominated the
soundscape above 500 Hz. Acoustic detectability of humpback, minke and sperm
whales decreased with increasing ambient noise levels whereas blue and fin
whale acoustic detectability increased with the ambient noise levels. We
provide baseline information on underwater noise sources and the effects of
underwater noise on whale acoustic detectability off the west coast of South
Africa.
This paper is open access and can be freely downloaded at:
https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0025-326X(22)00804-9. Please feel free
to contact me if you have questions or comments on the paper.

Kind regards,Fannie
Fannie W. Shabangu, PhD (he/him)
Marine BiologistDepartment of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment
Cape Town, South Africa
Mobile: +27 74 220 0210
Tel: +27 21 402 3553E-mail addresses: fshaba...@dffe.gov.za;
fannie.shaba...@yahoo.com

Research Fellow
Mammal Research InstituteWhale Unit
University of PretoriaHatfield, South Africa