On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share the following manuscript
recently published in Royal Society Open Science.  The manuscript is freely
available for download.
Acoustic signalling and behaviour of Antarctic minke whales (*Balaenoptera
bonaerensis*)
C.B. Casey, S. Weindorf, E. Levy, J.M.J. Linksy, D.E. Cade, J.A. Goldbogen,
D.P. Nowacek, and A.S. Friedlaender
https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.211557

Abstract

Acoustic signalling is the predominant form of communication among
cetaceans. Understanding the behavioural state of calling individuals can
provide insights into the specific function of sound production; in turn,
this information can aid the evaluation of passive monitoring datasets to
estimate species presence, density, and behaviour. Antarctic minke whales
are the most numerous baleen whale species in the Southern Ocean. However,
our knowledge of their vocal behaviour is limited. Using, to our knowledge,
the first animal-borne audio-video documentation of underwater behaviour in
this species, we characterize Antarctic minke whale sound production and
evaluate the association between acoustic behaviour, foraging behaviour,
diel patterns and the presence of close conspecifics. In addition to the
previously described *downsweep* call, we find evidence of three novel
calls not previously described in their vocal repertoire. Overall, these
signals displayed peak frequencies between 90 and 175 Hz and ranged from
0.2 to 0.8 s on average (90% duration). Additionally, each of the four call
types was associated with measured behavioural and environmental
parameters. Our results represent a significant advancement in
understanding of the life history of this species and improve our capacity
to acoustically monitor minke whales in a rapidly changing Antarctic region.

--
Ari S. Friedlaender, PhD *(he/him/his)*
Professor, Ocean Sciences Department