Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce the publication of our new paper

Girola, E., Dunlop, R. A., Noad, M. J. (2022). "Singing in a noisy ocean: vocal
plasticity in male humpback whales." Bioacoustics: 1-24. DOI:
10.1080/09524622.2022.2122560

Abstract
The songs produced by male humpback whales are believed to be a reproductive
display shared by all singers within the same population. Ocean noise can
interfere with the transmission of acoustic signals such as humpback whale
songs. However, humpback whales evolved in an environment characterised by
variable levels of noise generated by natural sources. This study investigates
whether singing males compensate for natural noise by changing the
characteristics of their sounds.  Songs were recorded off eastern Australia
during periods of time when the soundscape was dominated by natural noise.
Source level, peak frequency and duration were measured for 2,318 song units
from 19 singers. Source levels were positively correlated with noise levels,
while there was no correlation between the peak frequency or duration of the
units and noise levels. Our study shows that male humpback whales increase the
source level of their units in response to increasing natural noise, i.e. they
have a Lombard response, but they do not modify their spectral or temporal
characteristics. This suggests that the need to adhere to the shared repertoire
prevents changes to distinctive features of song units, i.e. frequency and
duration, however, vocal plasticity allows adjusting source levels to the
environmental conditions.

The paper can be accessed here https://doi.org/10.1080/09524622.2022.2122560

or you can request a pdf copy from the corresponding author
(e.gir...@uq.edu.au<mailto:e.gir...@uq.edu.au>).

Best regards

Elisa

Dr. Elisa Girola