Greetings: My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of
our open access paper in Royal Society Open Science:

Pallin L., Bierlich K. C., Durban J., Fearnbach H., Savenko O., Baker C.
S., Bell E., Double M. C., de la Mare W., Goldbogen J., Johnston D., Kellar
N., Nichols R., Nowacek D., Read A. J., Steel D. and Friedlaender A. 2022.
Demography of an ice-obligate mysticete in a region of rapid environmental
change. R. Soc. open sci. 9, 220724. http://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.220724

Abstract:  Antarctic minke whales (Balaenoptera bonaerensis, AMW) are an
abundant, ice-dependent species susceptible to rapid climatic changes
occurring in parts of the Antarctic. Here, we used remote biopsy samples
and estimates of length derived from unoccupied aircraft system (UAS) to
characterize for the first time the sex ratio, maturity, and pregnancy
rates of AMWs around the Western Antarctic Peninsula (WAP). DNA profiling
of 82 biopsy samples (2013–2020) identified 29 individual males and 40
individual females. Blubber progesterone levels indicated 59% of all
sampled females were pregnant, irrespective of maturity. When corrected for
sexual maturity, the median pregnancy rate was 92.3%, indicating that most
mature females become pregnant each year. We measured 68 individuals by UAS
(mean = 8.04 m) and estimated that 66.5% of females were mature. This study
provides the first data on the demography of AMWs along the WAP and
represents the first use of non-lethal approaches to studying this species.
Furthermore, these results provide baselines against which future changes
in population status can be assessed in this rapidly changing marine
ecosystem.

cheers,

Logan
*Logan J. Pallin, Ph.D.*
Bio-Telemetry & Behavioral Ecology Lab
<https://btbel.pbsci.ucsc.edu/logan-pallin/>
The University of California, Santa Cruz
115 McAllister Way, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
lpal...@ucsc.edu | (*he/him/his*)