Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce the publication of the following
paper in Marine Mammal Science:

Glarou, M., Gero, S., Frantzis, A., Brotons, J. M., Vivier, F., Alexiadou, P.,
Cerdà, M., Pirotta, E., & Christiansen, F. (2022). Estimating body mass of
sperm whales from aerial photographs. Marine Mammal Science, 1–23.

Abstract:

Body mass is a fundamental feature of animal physiology. Although sperm whales
(Physeter macrocephalus) are the largest toothed predators on earth, body mass
is seldom included in studies of their ecophysiology and bioenergetics due to
the inherent difficulties of obtaining direct measurements. We used
UAV-photogrammetry to estimate the weight of free-ranging sperm whales. Aerial
photographs (23 calves, 11 juveniles, 55 nonmother adults, 13 mothers) were
collected in the Eastern Caribbean and Mediterranean Sea during 2017–2020. Body
length, widths, and heights (dorso-ventral distance at 5% increments) were
measured from dorsal and lateral photographs, while body volume was calculated
using an elliptical model. Volume varied noticeably (12.01 ± 4.79 m3) in larger
animals (>8 m), indicating fluctuations in body condition of adults and
mothers. Volume was converted to mass, using tissue-density estimates from
catch data, animal-borne tags, and body-tissue composition. Average total body
density ranged from 834 to 1,003 kg/m3, while the weight predictions matched
with existing measurements and weight-length relationships. Our body-mass
models can be used to study sperm whale bioenergetics, including inter- and
intraseasonal variations in body condition, somatic growth, metabolic rates,
and cost of reproduction.

The paper is open-access and can be accessed from the following link:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12982

Best regards,

Maria Glarou

PhD Fellow