Dear Colleagues,
On behalf of lead author Shannon Atkinson and co-authors Trevor Branch,
Adam Pack, Jan Straley, Jon Moran, Chris Gabriele, Kendall Mashburn, Kelly
Cates and Suzanne Yin, I am pleased to inform you about our new paper "
Pregnancy rate and reproductive hormones in humpback whale blubber:
Dominant form of progesterone differs during pregnancy " published in the
journal General and Comparative Endocrinology.  Below, please find the full
citation for the article and the abstract. Our findings are based on biopsy
sampling data collected from 2004-2006 in Hawai’i and Alaska. If you would
like to receive a pdf of this paper, please contact us.  Wishing everyone
in our community a happy, healthy, and peaceful holiday season.

Mahalo,
Adam

Atkinson, S., Branch, T. A., Pack, A .A., Straley, J. M., Moran, J.
Gabriele, C., Mashburn, K. L., Cates, K. & Yin, S. (2022). Pregnancy rate
and reproductive hormones in humpback whale blubber: Dominant form of
progesterone differs during pregnancy.  General and Comparative
Endocrinology. 114151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2022.114151

Abstract

To better understand reproductive physiology of humpback whales *Megaptera
novaeangliae *that reside in Hawai’i and Alaska, enzyme immunoassays were
validated for both progesterone and testosterone in free-ranging and
stranded animals (n = 185 biopsies). Concentrations were analyzed between
different depths of large segments of blubber taken from skin to muscle
layers of stranded female (n = 2, 1 pregnant, 1 non-pregnant) and male (n =
1) whales. Additionally, progesterone metabolites were identified between
pregnant (n = 1) and non-pregnant (n = 3) females using high pressure
liquid chromatography (HPLC). Progesterone concentrations were compared
between juvenile (i.e., sexually immature), lactating, and pregnant
females, and male whales, and pregnancy rates of sexually mature females
were calculated. Based on replicate samples from ship struck animals
collected at 7 depth locations, blubber containing the highest
concentration of progesterone was located 1 cm below the skin for females,
and the highest concentration of testosterone was in the skin layer of one
male whale. HPLC of blubber samples of pregnant and non-pregnant females
contain different immunoreactive progesterone metabolites, with the
non-pregnant female eluate comprised of a more polar, and possibly
conjugated, form of progesterone than the pregnant female. In females,
concentrations of progesterone were highest in the blubber of pregnant (n =
28, 28.6 ± 6.9 ng/g), followed by lactating (n = 16, 0.9 ± 0.1 ng/g), and
female juvenile (n = 5, 1.0 ± 0.2 ng/g) whales. Progesterone concentrations
in male (n = 24, 0.6 ng/g ± 0.1 ng/g) tissues were the lowest of all
groups, and not different from lactating or juvenile females. Estimated
summer season pregnancy rate among sexually mature females from the Hawai’i
stock of humpback whales was 0.562 (95 % confidence interval 0.528–0.605).
For lactating females, the year-round pregnancy rate was 0.243 (0.09–0.59),
and varies depending on the threshold of progesterone assumed for pregnancy
in the range between 3.1 and 28.5 ng/g. Our results demonstrate the
synergistic value added when combining immunoreactive assays, HPLC, and
long-term sighting histories to further knowledge of humpback whale
reproductive physiology.

--
Adam A. Pack, Ph.D. Professor and Chair (Psychology)
Departments of Psychology and Biology
University of Hawai'i at Hilo
200 West Kawili Street
Hilo, Hawai'i 96720