Dear colleagues,

together with my co-authors, I am pleased to share with you our recent
publication in the Journal of Sea Research:

Westphal L, Klemens L, Reif F, van Neer A, &  Dähne M (2023). First evidence of
grey seal predation on marine mammals in the German Baltic Sea. Journal of Sea
Research, 102350.
doi: 10.1016/j.seares.2023.102350

This paper describes the first cases of grey seal predation on marine mammals
in the Baltic Sea, a behaviour which was not documented in the Baltic
subspecies until now.
The investigated carcasses were retrieved at the German Baltic coastline.

The open access pdf is available here:
doi.org/10.1016/j.seares.2023.102350<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seares.2023.102350>

Abstract:
Grey seal predation on marine mammals has been reported throughout the northern
hemisphere except for the
Baltic Sea. After the Baltic subspecies (Halichoerus grypus grypus) was on the
brink of extinction in the early
1990s, numbers increased steadily during the past three decades from a few
thousands to > 40,000 in 2020. In
recent years, grey seals were observed more frequently in the southern and
western Baltic Sea, areas where the
subspecies was a rare guest for many decades. Nevertheless, <10% of the Baltic
grey seals are counted in the
southern Baltic Sea. A standing stranding monitoring programme investigates
carcasses of marine mammals
washed up in Mecklenburg- Western Pomerania, Germany. In August 2021 a harbour
seal (Phoca vitulina) carcass
was found with lesions typical for grey seal predation: amongst others the
typical “cork-screw”, helical and cut like
lesions with smooth wound margins. The juvenile harbour seal showed 9 of 10
parameters indicating grey
seal predation according to van Neer et al., 2021. Earlier suspicious cases in
harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena)
suggest that the presented case may not be an isolated one. Rather, it is a so
far rare observation of a
behaviour that may become more common with the ongoing recovery of grey seals
in the southern Baltic Sea in
an area of overlapping habitats with harbour porpoise and harbour seals. In
this region harbour seals and
harbour porpoise are more abundant than in the Northern Baltic Sea where, as of
yet, grey seals are more numerous.

Best regards

Linda Westphal
FB Wissenschaft / Scientifc departement

Deutsches Meeresmuseum / German Oceanographic Museum
Museum für Meereskunde und Fischerei ∙ Aquarium
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts

Tel.:    +49 3831 2650 396
Fax:    +49 3831 2650 309
Mobil: +49 173 9688 286