Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to present our recently published
paper entitled: Remote and non‑invasive quantification of ‘Tattoo Skin
Disease‑Like' dermatopathy in endangered Arabian Sea humpback whales using
drone photography.

The view-only version is available here: https://rdcu.be/c3pb0. A pdf
version can be found here: https://www.matthewsleslie.com/publications-1

Abstract:
Arabian Sea humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae; ASHW) are listed as
Endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature
(IUCN). The long-term presence and increased prevalence of tattoo skin
disease-like (TSD-L) dermatopathy is a concern for this small non-migratory
population. Characterized by irregular or rounded, light gray or whitish
cutaneous lesions, this condition resembles tattoo skin disease, caused by
cetacean poxviruses. Although the etiological agent and pathogenicity of
TSD-L dermatopathy are unknown, previous studies have suggested that it is
an indicator of population health. Until now, disease diagnosis had been
based on photographs collected from survey vessels. In this study, we
describe a novel method of identifying and quantifying TSD-L lesions in
ASHW, using drone aerial photography. Aerial photos of the entire dorsum
were selected for 18 whales with the same criteria applied for assessing
body condition to quantify the percent coverage for each individual. We
effectively diagnosed this condition from close-up aerial photos or
good-quality photos of the lateral body surface taken from the research
vessel in 13 whales. TSD-L dermatopathy coverage ranged from 2.34 to 57.00%
and measurements were consistent between photographs of the same whale
(SD=1.86%). Drone aerial photography provided a useful and complementary
approach to identify and quantify TSD-L lesions. Continued monitoring using
this non-invasive method should be combined with other population and
health monitoring tools to increase our understanding of the
characteristics and epidemiology of this condition, and to provide critical
information for conservation efforts that ensure the recovery of this
endangered population.

Citation:
Leslie MS, Kant L, Perkins-Taylor C, Van Bressem MF, Minton G, MacDonald D,
Christiansen F, Willson MS, Collins T, Baldwin R, Al Harthi S. 2023. Remote
and non‑invasive quantification of ‘Tattoo Skin Disease‑Like’ dermatopathy
in endangered Arabian Sea humpback whales using drone photography.
Mammalian Biology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-022-00337-0

Many thanks to all involved and those who provided support. Please reach
out if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Matt