Aloha MARMAM community,

On behalf of myself and my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new
publication titled "Targeted surveillance detected novel beaked whale
circovirus in ten new host cetacean species across the Pacific basin."

*Abstract*: The first cetacean circovirus, beaked whale circovirus (BWCV),
was recently reported in a Longman’s beaked whale (*Indopacetus pacificus*)
stranded in Hawai‘i and represents an emergent disease with unknown
population impacts. In other species, circovirus infection may cause
mortality or opportunistic co-infection by other pathogens. We report on a
targeted surveillance of stranded cetaceans in the Pacific basin, including
archived beaked whale species, strandings where pathological findings
suggested disease presence, mass stranded animals, and additional
individuals to represent a broad range of Hawaiian cetacean species.
Archived tissues primarily from the brain, kidney, liver, lung, spleen, and
lymph nodes of individuals stranded between 2000 and 2020 (n=30) were
tested by PCR for the presence of BWCV. Suspect positive tissue amplicons
were confirmed as BWCV through sequencing. Of the screened individuals, 15
animals tested positive in one or more tissues, with a single striped
dolphin (*Stenella coeruleoalba*) testing positive in all six tissues. The
highest rate of detection among positive cases was found in the brain
(69%), followed by lymph (67%) and lung tissues (64%). Additionally,
co-infections of cetacean morbillivirus (n=3), *Brucella ceti* (n=1),
and *Toxoplasma
gondii* (n=1) were found among the positive cases. These results expand the
potential host range for BWCV into ten additional odontocete species. New
host species include a dwarf sperm whale (*Kogia sima*) that stranded on
O‘ahu in 2000, predating the initial case of BWCV. The results broaden the
known geographic range of BWCV to Saipan in the Western Pacific, and
American Samoa in the South Pacific, where stranded Cuvier’s beaked
whales (*Ziphius
cavirostris*) tested positive. Although the clinical significance is
currently unknown, this study demonstrates that BWCV has a high prevalence
within targeted cetacean screening efforts. Infectious diseases pose a
major threat to cetaceans and BWCV may represent an important emerging
disease within populations spanning the central, Western, and South
Pacific.

*Citation: *Clifton, C. W., Silva-Krott, I., Marsik, M. G., and West, K. L.
(2023). Targeted surveillance detected novel beaked whale circovirus in ten new
host cetacean species across the Pacific basin. *Front. Mar. Sci.*
9:945289. doi:
10.3389/fmars.2022.945289

Access to the full article can be found here: https://www.frontiersin.
org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2022.945289/full

Mahalo,

Cody

--
Cody Clifton
Graduate Research Assistant, PhD Student