Dear Marmam Community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our new paper:

Degollada, E.; Amigó, N.; O’Callaghan, S.A.; Varola, M.; Ruggero, K.; Tort, B. A Novel Technique for Photo-Identification of the Fin Whale, /Balaenoptera physalus/, as Determined by Drone Aerial Images. /Drones/ *2023*, /7/, 220.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/drones7030220

Abstract: Drones have become a crucial research tool across marine environments over the past decade, being specifically useful in marine mammal research. Fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus) have been monitored feeding along the Catalan coast, Spain (NW Mediterranean), since 2014. To overcome issues such as the distance between a whale and a research vessel or the lack of distinctive dorsal fin features, an aerial identification technique was developed. It uses the fin whales’ characteristic central chevron pattern (CCP) and blaze, which are clearly visible from an overhead position. A total of 237 individual whales were identified between 2015–2022 in this study area, of which there were 35 interannual recaptures. While the dorsal fin may undergo modifications over time, the CCP and blaze patterns did not naturally alter over the years, with one whale displaying the same characteristics 8 years apart between the first and the most recent sightings. As such, this coloration pattern provides a reliable identification feature to be used for the interannual identification and population monitoring of fin whales using drones. This novel technique aims to improve and unify this species cataloguing overseas by using the CCP and blaze obtained from UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) zenithal videos as a robust identification tool.

Best regards

Eduard Degollada

Eduard Degollada Bastos DVM PhD

President Associació EDMAKTUB