Dear MARMAMers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication in Marine
Mammal Science: Assessing animal welfare during a stranding of pygmy killer
whales (Feresa attenuata).

Abstract:
Empirical assessment of cetacean welfare to inform stranding interventions is
lacking. Here, potential welfare indicators are described for two stranded
pygmy killer whales (Feresa attenuata), along with euthanasia procedures and
pathology of potential relevance. The animals were filmed for 3.5 and 1.5 hr,
respectively, allowing assessment of 19 indicators, including animal behaviors
and human interventions. Eight interventions and 19 animal behaviors were
identified; 17 and 11 behaviors were displayed by animal 1 and 2, respectively.
Examination of ballistics euthanasia revealed atypical projectile placement and
characterized animal behavioral responses, but welfare implications could not
be assessed as insensibility was not verified in-field. Pulmonary edema and
renal degeneration were documented in both animals; differential etiologies
include ischemia–reperfusion, shock, and/or myopathy. Potential relationships
among histopathology and welfare indicators are explored to infer affective
experiences. For example, simultaneous head-lifting with respiration increased
over time which, alongside pulmonary edema, suggests these animals experienced
breathlessness. Other likely affective states include fatigue and discomfort;
there are insufficient data to estimate the intensity or duration of these
experiences or to provide an overall welfare grade/score. Further data are
required to validate the proposed welfare indicators and to progress
development of holistic approaches to welfare assessment at cetacean strandings.

It can be freely downloaded here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.13029

Please do contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you very much,
Rebecca

On behalf of all the co-authors

Rebecca M Boys, Ph.D.

Marine Biologist

Research Associate

Cetacean Ecology Research Group

School of Natural Sciences

Massey University

Auckland

New Zealand

[cid:a96034ad-4638-4cc4-ae3b-130247e89cc9]<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rebecca_Boys>
 [cid:219ca730-9583-4d99-9d44-321f1b9e2ffd]
<https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?hl=en&user=7rHpOpMAAAAJ>
[cid:5d01d65c-32d7-4f19-93b6-24e6964d2723] <https://twitter.com/RebeccaMBoys>
[cid:ef7729b7-436a-4517-975c-54667a3189fb]
<https://www.facebook.com/CetaceanEcologyOrg/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBKlWSLR-YC7KHNrW51KXYC8RqNWn5mtIpZGlhILsMi73gubXw7i0iNq-bMfLim8n7PnUX74GpGPXJqVJBIxqdfqVAvHxEd2En0qyW6mKYd9Q30p8kEFIBWKPFgrh4uEh6ISXy5ihiNbt8H1yEWprZQN4kZDRW8gPSk6TMiyNoF-uJ0o1uPoosrGMKBKGD8sc4K3SJPD2e-mWqDxZOc_aY670ngZVZm6YlpZzvKj_r_vh_aHHeSQuS7lgktu6h7HwKL_pEGombnfjc6z3ekwEF4Szn9mLA-y643tiUxNSQiFyiDyOzrVFqnT34Ctus2d0A9GXJMVBvnw7lCKoNnEq4kbA>
 [cid:19cb70ee-82a1-476c-8387-f79f56279185]
<https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/explore/research/animal-veterinary/animal/marine/marine_home.cfm>
[cid:af47aae6-14d2-477d-9682-21e45cd96fb0]
www.cetaceanecology.org/<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/>

Australia and New Zealand Student Chapter SMM Committee member

European Cetacean Society National Contact Person for New Zealand