Dear MARMAMers,  My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of
the following paper:
 Jefferson, T. A., M. A. Smultea and E. J. Ward. (2023). Distribution and
Abundance of California (Zalophus californianus) and Steller (Eumetopias
jubatus) Sea Lions in the Inshore Waters of Washington, 2013-2016. Aquatic
Mammals, 49, 366-381. https://doi.org/10.1578/am.49.4.2023.366ABSTRACT:
Two species of sea lions occur in the inlandwaters of Washington State, the
California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) and Steller sea lion (Eumetopias
jubatus). Both species breed elsewhere, but typically moveinto Puget Sound and
adjacent waters of the Salish Sea from autumn throughspring months.  There is a
need forinformation on their current abundance and seasonal use patterns, as
bothspecies prey heavily on threatened/endangered stocks of salmon and
steelheadtrout (Oncorhynchus spp.), andempirical abundance estimates of these
species are lacking for inlandWashington waters. From 2013-2016, we conducted
39,399 km of aerial surveys formarine mammals in this area, sighting 255 groups
of sea lions.  We used a subset of 7,841 km of effort and165 sea lion sightings
made during surveys in good sighting conditions toestimate in-water abundance
using line-transect methods.  Historical tagging data collected in
PacificNorthwest waters were used to evaluate the proportions of time that
eachspecies spent on land and conducting dives, and then to develop
correctionfactors to derive total abundance for both sea lion species,
providing the firstempirical abundance estimates for these waters. We estimated
that between 33 and 442 California sea lions were found inPuget Sound/Hood
Canal in different seasons, with nearly 3,000 being found in thebroader inland
Washington waters in the peak season (spring).  Steller sea lions occurred in
much smallernumbers, with a peak of 219 animals in Puget Sound/Hood
Canal/Strait of Juan deFuca in autumn (and possibly as many as 600-700 in the
entire study area). Whilesome estimates suffer from low precision, this study
demonstrates thatsubstantial numbers of sea lions use waters of the study area
throughout muchof the year.  Our results provide animportant step toward better
understanding of these two species in the inlandwaters of Washington, as well
as their potential effects on protected salmonidprey species.

  The paper is available upon request or from the Aquatic Mammals website.
Tom Jefferson