Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are very pleased to share our new paper :

Grewal, C. E., Powell, J. R., Horstman, S. C., Farmer, N. A., Ayala, O., &
Read, A. J. (2023). Observed trends in scavenging by common bottlenose dolphins
(Tursiops truncatus truncatus) in for-hire fisheries in the eastern U.S. Gulf
of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13030

Abstract
Interactions between bottlenose dolphin and recreational rod and reel fisheries
are a complex issue for resource managers in the United States, which may
impact anglers' catch and lead to dangerous situations for scavenging or
depredating dolphins. To examine this issue, we analyzed data collected by
observers on for-hire fishing vessels off the eastern U.S. Gulf Coast from 2009
to 2020. A generalized additive model indicated number of anglers, number of
discarded fish, proximity to shore, prior scavenging events, type of released
fish, and area fished were all significant predictors of scavenging by
dolphins. The Florida panhandle had the highest odds of scavenging, while
scavenging in the Big Bend and Tampa Bay has increased through time. The
Florida panhandle is a well-known area for illegal feeding of dolphins,
suggesting human behavior may be influencing fisheries interactions. Model
outputs indicate that dolphins are primarily cuing on fishing activity rather
than number of discards, but are more likely to scavenge discards from the
family Lutjanidae (snappers), which comprised 40% of observed discards but 80%
of scavenging events. This study highlights factors influencing the frequency
of dolphin scavenging events, guiding managers and scientists on additional
studies and mitigation measures needed to address this issue.

Please feel free to contact me to request a PDF version or with any questions
or comments at coriegre...@alumni.duke.edu

Best Regards,
Corie Grewal

Duke University MEM '21