VOLUNTEER AND INTERN RECRUITMENT FOR THE MONTENEGRO DOLPHIN RESEARCH (SOUTH
ADRIATIC SEA)

Dear all,

Please find below details of Autumn Vacancies at our Montenegro Dolphin
Research project.

WHO ARE DMAD AND WHAT DO WE DO?

DMAD - Marine Mammals Research Association have scientific projects running
in Turkey and Montenegro. We conduct long-term studies of marine mammals in
Istanbul, Antalya, the Levantine Sea, and Montenegrin coastal waters.  We
aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and
behaviour, define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major
threats, ranging from tourism to hydrocarbon exploration.

Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of
awareness initiatives targeted at the local community.

More details on the project can be found here: montenegrodolphinresearch.org

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is a valuable
opportunity for graduates, that wish to gain experience in the marine
mammal research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain
internship academic credits.

It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and MSc thesis.
However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose passion
for marine mammals is strong and sincere.

Opportunities are available from October 2023. The minimum duration of the
placements is 2 MONTHS, with possible exceptions for skilled candidates.

REQUIREMENTS

-True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and
ability to work responsibly;

-Ability to cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment;

-Respect for the organisation's rules and willingness to follow standards
and procedures;

-Proven experience of working effectively as part of a team;

-Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills;

-Willingness to learn new software applications.

-Background in marine biology and previous fieldwork experience are an
advantage.

FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including
sunrise and sunset hours;

-Performing boat-based surveys once a fortnight (occasionally more if
possible).

-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavioural data, as well as
environmental and anthropogenic data;

-Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras;

-Data entry and analysis;

-Cataloguing and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID
studies via Discovery software;

-Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions.

-Promoting citizen-science activities

TRAINING

The Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides lectures and field work
training as well as constant mentoring. You will be given the chance to
learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammal research
including:

-GIS mapping

-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software;

-Photo-identification;

-Discovery, Darwin and Logger 2010 software;

-Systematic data collection and data analysis;

 PROJECT CONTRIBUTION

The contribution fee for volunteers is €1000 per month. For a timeframe
longer than 2 months the fee will go down in the third month to €950. For
interns, it’s €1150 per month. For a timeframe longer than 2 months the fee
will go down in the third month to €1050. All of the contribution fee goes
directly to supporting the projects and includes tax.

The fee includes:

-Accommodation and expenses;

-Transportation between the project sites within Montenegro;;

-Training and lectures with a copy of the lecture on PDF;

-Fieldwork (land- and boat survey);

-Use of the equipment;

And for Interns it also includes:

-Scientific support;

-Additional courses related to the selected subject;

Applicants are responsible for their transportation to/from Montenegro,
meals, insurance (all participants should have health and/or travel
insurance) and personal expenses.

HOW TO APPLY

Email your CV and cover letter to i...@dmad.org.tr, explaining why you are
a suitable asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us!
Please mention the PERIOD OF INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!

If you wish to have more info about our internships and work please take a
look at some of our web pages and social media:

Our research: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-projects

Our internships: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-internships

Our publications: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-publications

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/