On behalf on my co-editor and the contributing authors, we are pleased to
announce the publication of our new book:
Würsig, B., Orbach, D.N*., *eds. 2023. *Sex in **Cetaceans: Morphology,
Behavior, and the             Evolution of Sexual Strategies*. 619 pp. Cham
(Switzerland): Springer Nature.

The 24 chapter book is available *open access:* d
oi:10.1007/978-3-031-35651-3

Sex in Cetaceans provides an up-to-date review of multi-faceted aspects
related to mating and reproduction in toothed and baleen whales. This open
access book begins with discussions of sexual selection and anatomical
traits related to mating and diversity between the sexes. The functions of
non-conceptive copulations are reviewed as are different research
techniques applied to explore sex in cetaceans. Authors and editors build
knowledge of female and male social, mating, and parental strategies and
tactics for several specific toothed dolphin/porpoise/whale species and
baleen whale species. It concludes with a discussion of potential
conservation efforts and ways to help especially beleaguered species and
populations the world over.

The volume is intended as a major primer of cetacean sex for undergraduate
and graduate students, new and established researchers in the field, and
the public wishing to learn more.

Cheers,
Dara Orbach, PhD

Department of Life Sciences,