Dear Marman community,

On the behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our article recently
published in Nature Communications:

Gilbert, L., Jeanniard-du-Dot, T., Authier, M. et al. Composition of cetacean
communities worldwide shapes their contribution to ocean nutrient cycling. Nat
Commun 14, 5823 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-41532-y

The article is available in open access here
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-41532-y.pdf

Abstract: Defecation by large whales is known to fertilise oceans with
nutrients, stimulating phytoplankton and ecosystem productivity. However, our
current understanding of these processes is limited to a few species, nutrients
and ecosystems. Here, we investigate the role of cetacean communities in the
worldwide biological cycling of two major nutrients and six trace nutrients. We
show that cetaceans release more nutrients in mesotrophic to eutrophic
temperate waters than in oligotrophic tropical waters, mirroring patterns of
ecosystem productivity. The released nutrient cocktails also vary
geographically, driven by the composition of cetacean communities. The roles of
small cetaceans, deep diving cetaceans and baleen whales differ quantitatively
and functionally, with contributions of small cetaceans and deep divers
exceeding those of large whales in some areas. The functional diversity of
cetacean communities expands beyond their role as top predators to include
their role as active nutrient vectors, which might be equally important to
local ecosystem dynamics.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Best,

Lola Gilbert

lola.gilb...@univ-lr.fr

PhD candidate at the Centre for Biological Studies of Chizé-La Rochelle