Dear MARMAM community,

I am pleased to share my recent publication in the Journal of the Marine
Biological Association of the United Kingdom : A new record of a white
humpback whale (*Megaptera novaeangliae*) in Papeete, Tahiti.

Abstract. A new record of a white humpback whale (*Megaptera novaeangliae*)
was made off Papeete, Tahiti in July 2019. The individual was completely
white, except for grey patterns on its body and on the ventral part of the
fluke. The presence of different colourations indicates that this
individual is not an albino but a leucistic individual. According to field
observations, the individual was likely a juvenile or a subadult. It was
seen breaching several times and travelled further north of Papeete, where
the animal was recaptured off Arue. White individuals are rare and offer
unique opportunities to understand whale movement patterns and potential
population connectivity among humpback whale populations.

The pdf of the paper is available here:
https://doi.org/10.1017/S002531542300067X

Best regards,

*Joƫlle De Weerdt*
*I support Whale Research in Nicaragua with my online searches on lilo
<http://www.lilo.org/fr/?utm_source=eli-scientific>*
PhD Candidate at Vrije Universiteit University
Award winner of Jane Goodall Institute and Fondation Yves-Rocher
Scientist at Association ELI-S
www.eli-s.com
Find more on Association ELI-S: Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/AssociationELIS> | Instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/association.elis> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/ELI_Scientific> | Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeseHPDvE6pq-MmoZXWNkg>