Dear all,

The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute (BDRI) <http://www.thebdri.com/> is a
marine science centre dedicated to promoting the conservation of marine mammal
species and their habitat through research and education.

We are currently accepting applications for the following position:

INTERN COORDINATOR

This role involves assisting BDRI biologists in running research projects that
focus on studying the impact of marine vessels on bottlenose dolphin behavior
and the foraging ecology of the Eurasian otter. It presents a valuable
opportunity to gain experience in field research and become an integral part of
a dedicated research team. The intern coordinator will work in a friendly
atmosphere and benefit from continuous guidance and support provided by our
researchers: Dr. Bruno Diaz Lopez (Director), Dr. Severine Methion (staff and
research manager), Ms. Olga Mosca, Ms. Nathalie Dunel Roig, and Ms. Joyce Neves
(PhD candidates).

In addition, this position includes coordinating the activities of interns
participating in our internship program. The intern coordinator will be
responsible for assisting with the daily activities of interns and contributing
to the institute's daily operations, both in the field and in the lab. Please
note that this position is unpaid, but, in exchange, the intern coordinator
will receive accommodation, equipment, logistics support, and continuous
supervision from our team.

Key details:
Location: O Grove, North-western coast of Spain
Start Date: January 8th, 2024
End Date: August 31st, 2024

Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Coordinate between BDRI's biologists and the interns.
- Managing the intern shared house and welcoming new interns onsite.
- Assisting in intern training of land-based surveys and lab work (e.g.,
photo-identification analysis, database entry, GIS, otter diet analysis, and
more).
- Conducting land-based surveys of wild dolphins and otters.

Requirements:
- Background in biology, ecology, veterinary, or natural science, along with
motivation, hard work ethics, and an interest in marine mammal research .
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills, as this position involves coordinating
up to 10 interns at a time.
- Self-motivation, independence, and physical fitness to handle field and lab
work.
- Proficiency in English (compulsory) and Spanish (desirable).

Additional Information:
This position provides the opportunity to develop a personal research project
supervised by BDRI principal investigators (Dr. Bruno Diaz Lopez and Dr.
Severine Methion). At BDRI, we are proud to supervise numerous student research
projects every year and publish our findings in high-standard journals
(<http://www.thebdri.com/papers.hmtl
>). Being part of our team is therefore a great opportunity to contribute to
>meaningful research and gain valuable experience.

Work Schedule:
- Laboratory work days typically last 8 hours.
- Fieldwork typically exceed 4 hours and occur approximately 2 or 3 times per
week.
- There will be two days off per week.
Please keep in mind that field work is weather-dependent, unpredictable, and
changes seasonally.
This schedule information helps candidates better understand the time
commitment and nature of the work involved in this internship opportunity.

Please note that this is an unpaid position, but accommodation in the intern
shared house will be provided. Successful applicants will be responsible for
their own expenses, including food and travel to and from the research center
in O Grove, Galicia, Spain.

To apply:
Interested candidates should submit an application with the following:
- A one-page cover letter indicating your availability.
- A two-page resume detailing your training, experience, and relevant skills.
- Names and email addresses of at least one reference.
Please send these items as email attachments, in PDF format, to:
interns...@thebdri.com
Include "INTERN COORDINATOR" in your subject line.

If you are not a European citizen, please ensure you are authorized to legally
stay in Europe for more than 3 months.

Deadline:
The application deadline is November 26th, 2023.

Interviews will be arranged for selected candidates in late November and we
will finalize our candidate selection in early December.

For additional information about BDRI's research and conservation efforts,
please visit our website at http://www.thebdri.com and feel free to explore our
social media pages (@thebdri).

Best regards,

Séverine & Bruno