Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am happy to share our recent publication titled:
Abundance estimates of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in Irish
coastal waters using mark-recapture and citizen science.

Abstract: Abundance estimates are crucial for implementing effective
conservation measures for large marine megafauna – particularly cetaceans. When
combined with robust research methodologies, citizen science can provide a very
useful tool to monitor large baleen whale populations, especially given their
migratory nature, with individuals covering large areas typically exceeding the
capacity of single research teams. The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group has been
collecting humpback whale photo‐ID data in the inshore waters of Ireland since
1999. The Group curates a catalogue that contained 120 individual humpback
whales up to 2022. Most of these data were obtained through citizen science and
the catalogue was built following robust methodologies and strict data‐quality
protocols. We used this photo‐ID catalogue to derive the first comprehensive
abundance estimates for the species in Irish waters using mark‐recapture
modelling techniques. We applied two approaches: (1) open population maximum
likelihood mark recapture models based on the POPAN formulation; (2) a
multi‐site mark‐recapture model selection framework based on Bayesian
inference. The first method yielded a humpback whale superpopulation size of
154 ± 9 (95% CI = 138–172, CV = 0.06) between 1999–2022, with annual abundance
ranging between 2 ± 1 and 77 ± 8 individuals. The second approach provided
annual abundance estimates from 3 ± 2 to 76 ± 11 for the same period. This
study supports the idea of an increased presence of humpback whales in inshore
Irish waters, especially during the last decade. Despite this increase, results
also highlight the apparently very small size of the North Atlantic humpback
whale subgroup occurring in the inshore waters of Ireland.

The publication is available here:
https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/article/view/509

Many thanks,

Miguel Blázquez Hervás

PhD candidate
Marine and Freshwater Research Centre
Atlantic Technological University
Galway, Ireland
Miguel Blázquez Hervás - ATU Marine and Freshwater Research Centre
(mfrc-atu.ie)<https://mfrc-atu.ie/meet-the-team/miguel-blazquez-hervas/>

Funded under a Goverment of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship

[cid:image001.jpg@01DA26CD.0A4F95F0]

Tá an ríomhphost seo faoi réir an tséanta seo leanas atá le fáil ag Séanadh
Ríomhphost Ollscoil Teicneolaíochta an
Atlantaigh<https://www.atu.ie/email-disclaimer>
This e-mail is subject to the following disclaimer available at Atlantic TU
Email Disclaimer<https://www.atu.ie/email-disclaimer>