Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to share our recent paper in
Integrative Organismal Biology:

D R Barlow, K C Bierlich, W K Oestreich, G Chiang, J W Durban, J A Goldbogen, D
W Johnston, M S Leslie, M J Moore, J P Ryan, L G Torres, Shaped by Their
Environment: Variation in Blue Whale Morphology across Three Productive Coastal
Ecosystems, Integrative Organismal Biology, Volume 5, Issue 1, 2023, obad039,
https://doi.org/10.1093/iob/obad039

ABSTRACT: Species ecology and life history patterns are often reflected in
animal morphology. Blue whales are globally distributed, with distinct
populations that feed in different productive coastal regions worldwide. Thus,
they provide an opportunity to investigate how regional ecosystem
characteristics may drive morphological differences within a species. Here, we
compare physical and biological oceanography of three different blue whale
foraging grounds: (1) Monterey Bay, California, USA; (2) the South Taranaki
Bight (STB), Aotearoa New Zealand; and (3) the Corcovado Gulf, Chile.
Additionally, we compare the morphology of blue whales from these regions using
unoccupied aircraft imagery. Monterey Bay and the Corcovado Gulf are seasonally
productive and support the migratory life history strategy of the Eastern North
Pacific (ENP) and Chilean blue whale populations, respectively. In contrast,
the New Zealand blue whale population remains in the less productive STB
year-round. All three populations were indistinguishable in total body length.
However, New Zealand blue whales were in significantly higher body condition
despite lower regional productivity, potentially attributable to their
non-migratory strategy that facilitates lower risk of spatiotemporal
misalignment with more consistently available foraging opportunities.
Alternatively, the migratory strategy of the ENP and Chilean populations may be
successful when their presence on the foraging grounds temporally aligns with
abundant prey availability. We document differences in skull and fluke
morphology between populations, which may relate to different feeding behaviors
adapted to region-specific prey and habitat characteristics. These
morphological features may represent a trade-off between maneuverability for
prey capture and efficient long-distance migration. As oceanographic patterns
shift relative to long-term means under climate change, these blue whale
populations may show different vulnerabilities due to differences in migratory
phenology and feeding behavior between regions.

The full article is open access, and available online:
https://academic.oup.com/iob/advance-article/doi/10.1093/iob/obad039/7438866?login=true

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or to request a PDF copy.

Cheers,
Dawn

Dawn Barlow, PhD (she/her)
Postdoctoral Scholar
Marine Mammal Institute | Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation
Sciences
Oregon State University | Hatfield Marine Science Center
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/gemm-lab>
dawn.bar...@oregonstate.edu