Dear colleagues,

We are excited to share our new publication in Heredity: "Population genomics
of the white-beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris): Implications for
conservation amid climate-driven range shifts"
(https://doi.org/10.1038/s41437-024-00672-7).

Marc-Alexander Gose, Emily Humble, Andrew Brownlow, Dave Wall, Emer Rogan,
Guðjón Már Sigurðsson, Jeremy J. Kiszka, Charlotte Bie Thøstesen, Lonneke L.
IJsseldijk, Mariel ten Doeschate, Nicholas J. Davison, Nils Øien, Rob Deaville,
Ursula Siebert and Rob Ogden

Abstract:

Climate change is rapidly affecting species distributions across the globe,
particularly in the North Atlantic. For highly mobile and elusive cetaceans,
the genetic data needed to understand population dynamics are often scarce.
Cold-water obligate species such as the white-beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus
albirostris) face pressures from habitat shifts due to rising sea surface
temperatures in addition to other direct anthropogenic threats. Unravelling the
genetic connectivity between white-beaked dolphins across their range is needed
to understand the extent to which climate change and anthropogenic pressures
may impact species-wide genetic diversity and identify ways to protect
remaining habitat. We address this by performing a population genomic
assessment of white-beaked dolphins using samples from much of their
contemporary range. We show that the species displays significant population
structure across the North Atlantic at multiple scales. Analysis of
contemporary migration rates suggests a remarkably high connectivity between
populations in the western North Atlantic, Iceland and the Barents Sea, while
two regional populations in the North Sea and adjacent UK and Irish waters are
highly differentiated from all other clades. Our results have important
implications for the conservation of white-beaked dolphins by providing
guidance for the delineation of more appropriate management units and
highlighting the risk that local extirpation may have on species-wide genetic
diversity. In a broader context, this study highlights the importance of
understanding genetic structure of all species threatened with climate
change-driven range shifts to assess the risk of loss of species-wide genetic
diversity.

Find the Open Access Article here: https://rdcu.be/dxyMF
Please contact Marc-Alexander Gose with any questions:
marc-alexander.g...@ed.ac.uk

Best wishes,

Marc-Alexander Gose

Marc-Alexander Gose
Ph.D. Student in Conservation Genetics
R(D)SVS & The Roslin Institute
University of Edinburgh

Find a Project Description
here​<https://www.ed.ac.uk/vet/conservation-science/conservation-genetics/projects/white-beaked-and-atlantic-white-sided-dolphin-cons>

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with
registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh
Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.